Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Aanya
Enthusiast
Aanya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up Suggest me please!

Hi Friends,

I want buy a new e-reader for my best friend, but I am still not sure which one will be the fine for latest configuration etc..

It's a birth day gift to my friend

Thanks in advance.
Aanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for? For example, does your friend already have an ebook collection, and in what format is it? What part of the world are you in (which has an impact on availability of devices and books, and price)? What is your friend's main book sources (eg borrow from library, buy from store, freebies)? Any other features you think your friend will consider important? Your budget?
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would recommend Kobo. Go with either the Aura or the Aura HD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Not too happy with Kobo, they are like the Apple Inc of the reader industry.

Simple design, simple interface and no features. I hate it, especially it PDF capability. which is almost useless.

Oh, did I mention Kobo Aura HD has no buttons, nope it's no button except the power and light button. Good luck turning pages.

Get the Onyx T68

Last edited by FinancialWar; 07-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
We need a more information to help you.

What is your budget?
What kind of books does your friend reads? Comics? Manga? PDF? Fiction?
How tech savvy is your friend?
Does screen size matter?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post

Simple design, simple interface and no features. I hate it, especially it PDF capability. which is almost useless.

Oh, did I mention Kobo Aura HD has no buttons, nope it's no button except the power and light button. Good luck turning pages.

Get the Onyx T68
Kobo has more features then most readers including every single eInk Kindle. PDF is not going to be wonderful on any eInk device that's not at least 9.7".

You don't need buttons to turn pages because it's a touch screen. You touch the screen to turn the pages. I have a nook STR, T1, & 650 and I've very rarely used the page turn button. I use the touch screen. Really, with a touchscreen, there isn't any need for page turn buttons.

Please, stop giving out false information.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-24-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo has more features then most readers including every single eInk Kindle. PDF is not going to be wonderful on any eInk device that's not at least 9.7".

You don't need buttons to turn pages because it's a touch screen. You touch the screen to turn the pages. I have a nook STR, T1, & 650 and I've very rarely used the page turn button. I use the touch screen. Really, with a touchscreen, there isn't any need for page turn buttons.

Please, stop giving out false information.
You don't have to have 9.7 display for pdf, I can enjoy pdf on my Note II with Adobe reader app just fine, you need to have good software, that's much more important than just a big display.

With the T68, together with the Adobe app, you'll have the best Pdf experience IMO.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I am curious. If you dislike it so much, why have you bought one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo is... kind of the opposite of Apple. You can install whatever apps/hacks/tweaks you can write or find online without rooting or jailbreaking, you can sideload your own fonts, etc etc.

To the OP: yes, we need to know more, especially your country, budget, whether your friend will want to access library ebooks, what sort of books they like to read (novels? Nonfiction?), whether battery life is a dealbreaker feature, etc.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You don't have to have 9.7 display for pdf, I can enjoy pdf on my Note II with Adobe reader app just fine, you need to have good software, that's much more important than just a big display.

With the T68, together with the Adobe app, you'll have the best Pdf experience IMO.
I'm talking about eInk, not LCD. LCD and eInk are different. But then again, PDF is not really an eBook format as you can tell by how they are formatted. Formatted for 8.5"x11" paper with wide margins, a header and footer throughout. This is not optimal for reading on a small eInk screen.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
I'm talking about eInk, not LCD. LCD and eInk are different. But then again, PDF is not really an eBook format as you can tell by how they are formatted. Formatted for 8.5"x11" paper with wide margins, a header and footer throughout. This is not optimal for reading on a small eInk screen.
What lol?

If PDF is not really an eBook format, then that is?? Epub?

What would I want Aura HD to read epub?? That's just crazy.

If I want to read a novel, than I would choose a small and like ereader, something that's less than 5 inches. Why would any want HD screen to read a novel.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I would recommend Kobo. Go with either the Aura or the Aura HD.
I agree. I recently got a Kobo Aura, and I love it.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If I want to read a novel, than I would choose a small and like ereader, something that's less than 5 inches. Why would any want HD screen to read a novel.
It's not "crazy" at all. Printed books have pages that are more than 5" in size, and reading any book is a more pleasant experience on a larger screen. I bought my T68 to read novels on, and likewise I read them on my Nexus 7.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What lol?

If PDF is not really an eBook format, then that is?? Epub?

No, it's not crazy. I have my Readers to read books and that would be books in ePub. I don't view ePub on my Readers because the experience is poor and I don't want to have to strain trying to read something that's not going to really work well enough.

If I want to view PDF, I'll go to one of the computers or an iPad.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If I want to view PDF, I'll go to one of the computers or an iPad.
Absolutely right, Jon. I completely agree with you.