Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
lucius
lucius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cybook or Sony 505?

Hey all,

I've spent a few days browsing the forum by now, and I could really use some help to make the final choice.

Right now I have it narrowed down to Cybook versus Sony. Partly because they are the most convincing ones to me, partly because I'm sitting in Austria and they're the easiest ones to get. Costs are about even - the Cybook is at 280 EUR from justread.de and the Sony will be in the same range from UK waterstones.com.

My reading is mostly work-related pdf and doc; right now I'm doing it on an Asus eee, and while the screen is great for size, it tires my eyes too much.

The main requirements for me (as far as I can pinpoint them) are:
  • scaleable font. I'm very near-sighted, so this is a big issue. Eye-friendliness in general is, since I'll be using it for hours at a time.
  • pdf handling. About 30% of documents I read are text-only pdfs. The rest tends to be .doc or .html (which have occasional images or tables). Converting files is no problem as long as it won't require a lot of time and input from me.
  • support of Chinese texts, though I realize that this may be a bit much to ask.
  • ease of use in case I have to lend it to a colleague. Getting them to use the eeePC for reading is a challenge already because they consider it too complicated.
  • overall handling comfort.
  • jumping larger sections (up to 30-40 pages in print) at once.

What doesn't matter so much:
  • page numbers. Most of the texts I have to read are in the process of formatting and navigation happens by section rather than page.
  • dictionary support. I only use dictionaries when I'm actively composing text, and have them lined up in paper format for that.
  • extra sturdiness. Most of the time it's going to be an office-only device and I don't expect to do much traveling with it.
  • number of books available in stores. It's going to be used for internal documents 90% of the time.

I'm currently leaning towards the Sony, but it's a hard decision to make since I haven't had the chance to try out either of the two. All input would be greatly appreciated!
lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The way that the Sony and the CyBook handle PDF is very different. Which is "better" depends very much what type of document you're reading.

The Sony tries to "reflow" the text so it fits the small screen of the device. This works very well for text; generally not so well for complex pages with graphs, tables, etc.

The CyBook preserves the original page size and allows you to "pan" over it. This works extremely well for complex, multi-column pages with graphical content, but isn't so convenient for straightforward text.

Both work well. With is better depends on your needs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
lucius
lucius began at the beginning.

Device: none
That sounds like the Sony would be better for my pdf needs - most pdfs I'm dealing with are text only. Images usually show up in .doc files, but if I understand the specs correctly, I'd have to convert those to another format in any case? Setting appropriate page sizes shouldn't be an issue there.
lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Converting text PDF to other formats is very easy too, it should be noted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Converting text PDF to other formats is very easy too, it should be noted.
Converting is the easy part. Getting a PDF to work properly and read properly after the conversion is a different story. PDF's do not always translate to another format easily. Some do and Some seem to refuse.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Converting is the easy part. Getting a PDF to work properly and read properly after the conversion is a different story. PDF's do not always translate to another format easily. Some do and Some seem to refuse.

Dale
I've converted text only PD and found that even Acrobat doesn't do it right all the time. And the only way to be sure the conversion is fixed is to compare the PDF to the conversion and fix everything that needs fixing along the way. In most cases, it's not worth the effort.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius View Post
That sounds like the Sony would be better for my pdf needs - most pdfs I'm dealing with are text only. Images usually show up in .doc files, but if I understand the specs correctly, I'd have to convert those to another format in any case? Setting appropriate page sizes shouldn't be an issue there.
If you're work documents are all text then you should be ok with a 6inch device. However, if they have tables, diagrams or code or other stuff the depends on a certain layout you will be frustrated with it and would be better of getting a larger screened device, the iLiad or the DR1000.

I know, I go my Sony reader since it said PDF was supported and expected to read software manuals and programming books on it, and it just didn't work. Thankfully I also planned to read fiction on it... which is what I ended up only doing.

That said, the Sony 505 will reflow the PDF text so you shouldn't need to do any type of conversion. With the CyBook you will need to pan and scroll to read one page and it will be difficult if you just want to read from top to bottom rather than just a quick reference type doc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Sony only allows you to select 3 font sizes (the PRS-700 will have 5). For documents you convert yourself this should not be a problem, because you control the base font size. It might be a problem for PDFs, because one of the "sizes" is show the full page and I'm not sure how the PRS-505 chooses the other two (in its reflow mode). The Cybook has a wide range of font sizes for reflowable content (PDF behaviour described in earlier posts).

For PDF, in addition to off-line conversion to reflowable formats (which is hit and miss) it is also possible to convert off-line to images (i.e. partial-page images). PDF to images will also work for Chinese texts.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've found the largest text size on the Sony is very large. However, I'm long sighted and therefore happier with smaller text, and that may also cause me to perceive large text is larger than it actually is! I've had no problems with the odd text-only pdf I've read on the Sony - the reflow seems to work fine. I've not read any graphics intense pdfs on it yet though.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
have you thought of the BeBook too? It might be a better choice concearning chinese fonts,I don't know...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote