Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
flyhigher
flyhigher began at the beginning.

Device: None
Gen3 a good buy in Jan'10?

Hi there.

New to the forum and new to the ebook reader trend.

I am thinking about getting a Gen3 but I'm somewhat reluctant due to the fact that this is not precisely the newest ebook reader on the market.

Have found one for 200€ and was thinking:

- Could you give me at least one good reason why not to choose this particular model?

Many thanks!!!
flyhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not at all; it's a good machine, and with the two different firmware versions available for it, you have the choice of reading either DRM-Mobi or DRM-ePub/PDF. €200 is a good price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigher View Post
- Could you give me at least one good reason why not to choose this particular model?
A reason not to choose it? Well, if it's not a "Gold Edition", I'd choose the Gold Edition instead: it's faster, has more gray levels (better quality for illustrations), larger storage space... If it's the Gold Edition, the only reason I can find is you may prefer something with a touch screen...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
flyhigher

Many thanks for both replies!

Jellyby/ My friends insist that touch screens do not offer the same "reading experience" but they don't even have one themselves to tell you the truth, so unfortunately I cannot try one easily. On the other hand, I have tried the Gen3 and like it a lot.

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, flyhigher

Here is a link to our Wiki listing the Gen 3.

Plus like HarryT said
Quote:
two different firmware versions available for it, you have the choice of reading either DRM-Mobi or DRM-ePub/PDF
Don't forget to check out all the free ebooks right here on MR, once you get your Reader.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes.

Mine has just made 2 years and it’s still my preferred eBook reader.

Enjoy,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
flyhigher

Thanks again guys! Bought a second hand one finally, with a cover, a 2 Gb. card and an extra battery, the lot for 165€.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
chris1
chris1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm looking for an ebook reader that can read HTML, PDF, the ability to "mark in margins". I have never heard of ePUB format before today, so I don't have any idea what to begin to ask about that. I must admit don't buy songs from iTunes b/c DRM. I run MacOS 10.4 (so I know sony is out), but what are good features of Gen3's. Are there any gen3's that do NOT have wireless networking of any form or fashion (i.e. no G3, no 802.11, etc.)
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The Cybook Gen3 never had any wireless networking and will never have. Nor the Cybook Opus
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
I'm looking for an ebook reader that can read HTML, PDF, the ability to "mark in margins". I have never heard of ePUB format before today, so I don't have any idea what to begin to ask about that. I must admit don't buy songs from iTunes b/c DRM. I run MacOS 10.4 (so I know sony is out), but what are good features of Gen3's. Are there any gen3's that do NOT have wireless networking of any form or fashion (i.e. no G3, no 802.11, etc.)
You are new to this, are you?
First, only few eReaders have any kind of wireless networking: Amazon Kindle (partly free international 3G roaming), B&N nook (3G in US, WiFi), the iRex readers and 2 of the pocketBooks have WiFi. (There may be others which I have forgotten).
Most (if not all) Readers DO support at least one DRM system. As you may or may not know, there sadly are more file formats for electronic books.

Many readers display PDF and HTML (in various grades of perfection) But what do you mean with "mark in margins"??
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
chris1

I mean putting notes that show up on the margins, either like iRex or some other means, but on further reflection I'd not use it that often. It is a neat idea.

Other point: I have never been fond of wireless connections unless I'm fine with the idea of everything on the system I have networked wirelessly able to be freely accessed and copied by any random being with an electronic device. This is my big concern about wireless networks in general and I am don't have enough knowledge in network security to have any idea if the connection is secure. So i treat it like brain surgery... since I don't know enough to do it without error, I don't attempt it. This is why I asked what did *not* have wireless capability.

Last edited by chris1; 02-05-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: improved clarity
Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
So i treat it like brain surgery... since I don't know enough to do it without error, I don't attempt it.
*lol*
Seriously, you have some funny view of things. If you do not need something already present, do not use it (like i.e. phone camera, video on iPod, or TV on your PC).
To make antonations, there are various devices supporting those. But those need some sort of input functionality. This is, touch screen (w/ or w/o stylus), or a keyboard like the kindle. The CyBooks do not have these.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
chris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
*lol*
Seriously, you have some funny view of things. If you do not need something already present, do not use it (like i.e. phone camera, video on iPod, or TV on your PC).
To make antonations, there are various devices supporting those. But those need some sort of input functionality. This is, touch screen (w/ or w/o stylus), or a keyboard like the kindle. The CyBooks do not have these.
There are things I try for the sake of trying, wireless networks are not one of them.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
It can be done without. Eg, the Pocketbook has a search facility using an on-screen keyboard navigated with the 5-way navigation control; it works, but you wouldn't want to write an essay with it . There's no reason at all that the CyBook couldn't use a similar text entry system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can be done without. Eg, the Pocketbook has a search facility using an on-screen keyboard navigated with the 5-way navigation control; it works, but you wouldn't want to write an essay with it . There's no reason at all that the CyBook couldn't use a similar text entry system.
Indeed, the Cybook already has input capabilities for entering a page number.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote