Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Cindy
Cindy
Cindy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Off, Off, Off!

My Kindle 2 will not stay on? suggestions? and have I just overlooked something but is there anywhere to get troubleshooting or diagnostic information for the user?
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Aside from the obvious of ensuring it is fully charged, I would say you need to contact Amazon Customer Service.

My Kindle 2 will not shut off unless I hold the power slider in the off position for around 5 seconds. Otherwise it will display one of the many screen pictures.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Cindy
Cindy

I have allowed it to charge overnight, just to be sure that it is charged completely. I had ZERO problems until yesterday, then all of a sudden this issue!
At 10:00 pm last night - I finally put it down, but I have to tell you- I am really frustrated with the lack of access to Amazon/Kindle Support. It would be nice if this handy dandy devicecould be interrogated through the USB - so a troubleshoot dialog box could just walk the user through a simple
yes - no routine to make sure user has a support problem. (and maybe they do???)
I am getting "Your kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please try again later." Have you heard of anyone having this problem?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
My Kindle 2 will not stay on? suggestions? and have I just overlooked something but is there anywhere to get troubleshooting or diagnostic information for the user?
Cindy, are you saying it won't stay on or off?

In your Kindle Users guide, Chapter 1.......

"Power switch — puts your Kindle to sleep, wakes it up, and turns your Kindle on or off. To put
your Kindle to sleep, slide and release the power switch; a full screen image appears on the
display. While your Kindle is asleep, other keys and buttons are locked so that you don't
accidentally change the place in your reading. To turn your Kindle off, slide and hold the power
switch for four seconds until the screen goes blank and then release. To wake up or turn on your
Kindle, slide and release the power switch again.
If your Kindle does not power on or is unresponsive during use, try resetting the device by
disconnecting your Kindle from any power source, and then sliding and holding the power
switch for 15 seconds before releasing."

If none of these work, by all means, call Kindle Support.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have allowed it to charge overnight, just to be sure that it is charged completely. I had ZERO problems until yesterday, then all of a sudden this issue!
At 10:00 pm last night - I finally put it down, but I have to tell you- I am really frustrated with the lack of access to Amazon/Kindle Support. It would be nice if this handy dandy devicecould be interrogated through the USB - so a troubleshoot dialog box could just walk the user through a simple
yes - no routine to make sure user has a support problem. (and maybe they do???)
I am getting "Your kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please try again later." Have you heard of anyone having this problem?
Go to the Kindle support page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

See the 'contact us' button on the right?

Click on it, and you'll need to sign in to your account, then click on the 'phone me' option. They usually call back really quickly.
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Cindy
Cindy

My Kindle 2 will not stay on - "off" next to the battery icon. I will will full bars briefly then it reverts to "off".
Old 03-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
My Kindle 2 will not stay on - "off" next to the battery icon. I will will full bars briefly then it reverts to "off".
Aren't the bars the whispernet signal strength?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That is the wireless. You need to turn it on via the menu.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Cindy
Cindy

Desertgrandma...thanks a bunch for the link! Just got off the phone with Kindle (easy easy-you were right - very quick!)-after some troubleshooting the tech decided to send a replacement! The customer service rivals Apple - I should've given them credit to start with...it is just hard to believe there is another company out there with such easy customer service - again thanks!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Cindy
Cindy

did it
Old 03-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Desertgrandma...thanks a bunch for the link! Just got off the phone with Kindle (easy easy-you were right - very quick!)-after some troubleshooting the tech decided to send a replacement! The customer service rivals Apple - I should've given them credit to start with...it is just hard to believe there is another company out there with such easy customer service - again thanks!
Amazons CS is wonderful.

Enjoy your new K.