Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-30-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Did BN change DRM scheme AGAIN?

I have been using the Nook for windows app to download my Nook books for over a year. The last book I bought was May 25. It opens fine in Calibre. I just bought another book today and it will not open.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:44 PM   #2
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle
If they did, it would not surprise me, since they have been rolling out more locked down features every year to prevent users from using their NOOKs how they want to (partitioned space, password locked Android Developer settings).
I haven't purchased anything since they did they did their latest "enhancement."
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2024, 05:11 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
B&N playing games with DRM is what made me stop buying from them in the first place.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 12:58 PM   #4
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
No, it doesn't appear to have changed.
It's possible that your passphrase/"Hash" changed between your downloads.

B&N has had a really stable DRM, compared to the other provider who changes their algorithms a lot more rapidly.

They've also been a lot better about using largely compliant EPUB as opposed to a difficult to convert format.

It's also possible in the next few days that the B&N Network protocol will change over, and this may break older software.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 09:23 AM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I'm seeing a change. I checked it out by deleting a book I had downloaded in the Nook app on my rooted Android eReader and then downloading it again. I then copied the book to my laptop and opened it with Calibre. This method usually works. Now, however, the book opens, but I see only gobbledygook instead of words. B&N has done something...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2024, 10:40 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hmm, does this apply to Overdrive or just B&N bought books?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Hmm, does this apply to Overdrive or just B&N bought books?
Nothing at all to do with Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nothing at all to do with Overdrive.
Ok, but if you have your actual Adept DER file, can't you just de-DRM it?
I thought they all used the same Adept, just that B&N obfuscated more.

Oh... I guess they can change the whole book key stuff?

I guess that this is all about saying goodbye to the older Nooks?
Old 06-01-2024, 05:08 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm seeing a DeDRM failure after re-downloading a book from the Nook app:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-06-01 18_07_32-Bake It to the Limit [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	29
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	208638

I'll be looking to deleting my B&N account. Useless to me now.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 05:34 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Well, can someone unzip a book that fails, get META-INF\rights.xml
Look for "<encryptedKey" and say:
>exactly how many characters between the angle brackets</encryptedKey>
You don't have to quote the content.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:42 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not seeing any rights.xml in the new copy.

I do have an older, successfully DeDRMed version of the same book from before. It does have the file (and also an encryption.xml) and encryptedKey is 64 chars.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:49 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'm not seeing any rights.xml in the new copy.
Say what?
Maybe they just tried to change things around and they accidentally dropped all the rights.xml ?
You don't see anything new, do you in META-INF?
Old 06-01-2024, 05:55 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Say what?
Maybe they just tried to change things around and they accidentally dropped all the rights.xml ?
You don't see anything new, do you in META-INF?
Old, DeDRM'd version:

Name:	2024-06-01 18_54_56-D__Documents_My Books_Wendy Meadows_Bake It to the Limit (8609)_Bake It to t.png
Views:	22
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	208639

Newly downloaded version:

Name:	2024-06-01 18_54_42-D__Documents_My Books_Wendy Meadows_Bake It to the Limit (8720)_Bake It to t.png
Views:	21
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	208640
Old 06-01-2024, 05:57 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The CRCs of container.xml are both the same.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:00 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard

And there are no new directories anywhere?
And the count of files is exactly two different? (dir /s)

Then it's an outage. Their authorization infrastructure bit it.

I know nobody said anything about libraries/OverDrive, but that checks out ok.

Are there any free books available now through B&N (with DRM)?

$0.99 is too rich for my blood.

Last edited by Renate; 06-01-2024 at 06:02 PM.