Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Hello from Pennsylvania Z22 Fellow

For the past year or two I've been reading on my highly pocketable Palm Z22. If you see a white bearded middle aged guy obliviously reading a tiny white PDA on the Philadelphia subway, that's probably me. I get books from gutenberg.org, and download news each morning from Avantgo.com.

Text reader: PalmFiction with Georgia 12 font.

.txt to Palm format converter: MakeDoc for Windows

For classic novels, this works great (except in bright outdoor light; that's where my old Palm IIIxe was better). Somehow I don't mind the tiny screen/large font combination. I did once try Plucker, but I like my PalmFiction font and page turning feel better than what I found with Plucker.

For recent books, I still go paper via the public library.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Steve:

I recently bit the bullet and chose a Kindle for my hand-held reader. I can't imagine reading on a Palm, but I do understand that there are a lot of people who do so.

I still read paper books as well as electronic ones. Since I bought my Kindle, I've read about 50/50 paper and eBooks. For my Kindle, I've bought a couple of current releases from Amazon and SF from Baen, Fictionwise, and Steve Jordan (http://www.stevejordanbooks.com). I've been reading some Children's and Young Adult classics (Bobbsey Twins, Emily of New Moon) as well as classic science fiction. A group of volunteers here at MobileRead take the public domain books from places such as Project Gutenberg and format them for the various hand-held readers.

Welcome to MobileRead. You'll find folks here who are extremely knowledgeable about electronic books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Steve, welcome to MobileRead, glad to have you here.

In addition to the Sony Reader, I also have a Palm powered Samsung i500 cell phone that I have read on for many years. I started with Palm Reader although lately I have switched to using Mobipocket Reader as my main reader on the Palm. I also have Plucker installed so that I have three ebooks active at any one time.

I find the Mobipocket Reader to be more flexible and and more feature rich than Palm Reader plus it reads all of my old PDB files as well as the the great library of Mobipocket ebooks available here for free. I am a great fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories and keep a copy of Harry's Complete Sherlock Holmes on the phone for those times when you want something to read but don't want to start another full length book. It is beautifully formatted and proofed better than any of the paper copies I have of the stories.

If you have any questions, just ask.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum. I used to read on my iPaq and liked that fine but now I'm hooked on eInk and my Sony 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Steve, welcome to the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I find the Mobipocket Reader to be more flexible and and more feature rich than Palm Reader plus it reads all of my old PDB files as well as the the great library of Mobipocket ebooks available here for free.
Thanks to you and the others for the welcome. I loaded Mobipocket at your recommendation, and the big plus for me is the eNews feature. It will take a while to get that configured to best advantage, but it already is filling in gaps and frustrations I find with AvantGo.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote