Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
KY_TY
KY_TY began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Word Page Setup

Hi - I have a PRS-900 and want to import some MS Word documents that I create. Does anyone have a pointer to info on page setup, best fonts, etc.?

TIA - Tom
KY_TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Some ideas, although I am by no means an expert:

1 - Minimize the margins, to optimize screen use.
2 - Don't use multiple columns.
3 - Times New Roman creates problems, at times, so avoid it.
4 - Use 'Save as PDF'.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I always save Word files as RTF. It virtually eliminates the margins and looks great. I always use Times New Roman font. I think the downside is the file size is large, and it doesn't handle pictures.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Actually, saving as PDF is probably a better idea. Just make sure the page size is set to the screen size of your reader.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

PDFs will work, but they are not going to reflow very well under many circumstances. Nor can you easily adjust fontsizes for PDFs in the Reader because it can screw up the text flow. But if you have images in your documents, you probably will need to use PDFs. The one good thing about PDFs is that you can embed your favorite fonts, though they don't always look as good on the Reader as you would like them to.

If you just have text, then RTF is a better option as it will allow you to adjust the fontsize within the Reader, will reflow text well, and is a much smaller file.

If you just have text, the best option is to save as an RTF then use calibre to convert it to an ePub. This is more work, but worth the effort IMO.

You might check around to see if there are any Word to ePub apps available. Surely there are some and they are probably cheap or even free.
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
KY_TY
KY_TY began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around with this alittle to see whether PDF or RTF works best for me.

Tom
KY_TY is offline   Reply With Quote