Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
The future for the PRS-500

We're all aware that Sony appears to have abandoned support for the PRS-500 through neglecting firmware upgrades while other models now support ePub/ADE, as well as the improved Adobe PDF support.
Will Sony Ebook Library 3.0 spell the end of support for the PRS-500?
Will Sony introduce ePub/ADE support at any time in the future for the PRS-500, or have they simply decided to throw the PRS-500 in the unsupported bin alongside Betamax?
Is a ePub/ADE firmware upgrade technically possible?
Does anyone know what Sony is planning to do with regards to the PRS-500?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Does anyone know what Sony is planning to do with regards to the PRS-500?
Wait for each one to individually die and be replaced by the owner with a shiny new Sony model.

Honest. That is their plan for the remaining 500s.

I can't really blame them.

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Wait for each one to individually die and be replaced by the owner with a shiny new Sony model.

Honest. That is their plan for the remaining 500s.

I can't really blame them.

Their problem is that I'll keep mine alive for as long as physically possible, and if that was their putrid plan they're going to end up rather disappointed on more than one count Who said my next ebook device was going to be Sony? heh
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Their problem is that I'll keep mine alive for as long as physically possible, and if that was their putrid plan they're going to end up rather disappointed on more than one count Who said my next ebook device was going to be Sony? heh
I understand your unhappiness. And I applaud your desire to keep your 500 alive for all eternity. Museums are going to desire them someday soon. I have a 500 (sadly w/broken screen). And I intend to keep my other ebook readers alive and active as long as possible.

But the ying of new technology is that the latest yang is going to supersede it.

It is the Zen of neotech. And the art of neocapitalism.

I wouldn't call it planned obsolescence as much as expected orphanism.

So it goes.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
I understand your unhappiness. And I applaud your desire to keep your 500 alive for all eternity. Museums are going to desire them someday soon. I have a 500 (sadly w/broken screen). And I intend to keep my other ebook readers alive and active as long as possible.

But the ying of new technology is that the latest yang is going to supersede it.

So it goes.
This assumes that Sony can't be convinced that buying ebooks could be more important a market than the new-shiny-object part of their argument.
After all, their Sony Store will over time potentially earn them more than the ebook gadgets.
In that case, it would be worth maintaining these devices - at least their firmware - to keep the moolah flowing in.
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

I hope Sony agrees with your argument, I surely do.

But I am too cynical to expect it.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The official reason of no firmware update for the 500 was that it's too underpowered to handle EPUB. It might even be true. Since LRF works fine as is, why else would they work on an update? It certainly won't bring them any new users and will take the resources (development, testing, documentation, release engineering etc) that are better spent on the current models. It's all about effort and return.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And Sony was nice enough to allow a $100 trade-in if you traded in a 500 for a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And Sony was nice enough to allow a $100 trade-in if you traded in a 500 for a 505.
but not if you live in the UK, but that's just one of the downsides to early adopting.

Happily my 500 is still in first class condition even after being used everyday for the last couple of years or so, hopefully it'll last for a while yet too.

I have just bought a 505 for my wife as pretty soon she's going to find it tricky to manage her paper books (just found out we're expecting twins ) though she's not getting it until chrsitams (by then she should have her own built-in book stand ).
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nice gift for your wife.

Congratulations on the twins. Your wife better get all her reading in now cause after they are born, there wont be time to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The official reason of no firmware update for the 500 was that it's too underpowered to handle EPUB. It might even be true. Since LRF works fine as is, why else would they work on an update? It certainly won't bring them any new users and will take the resources (development, testing, documentation, release engineering etc) that are better spent on the current models. It's all about effort and return.
Sounds like more of an official excuse to me. They left the door open - and i doubt the resources needed would be overwhelmed by lifting a finger and putting together a firmware update using code already used by the 505 etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
but not if you live in the UK, but that's just one of the downsides to early adopting.
That's because the PRS-500 was never officially sold in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post

Happily my 500 is still in first class condition even after being used everyday for the last couple of years or so, hopefully it'll last for a while yet too.

I have just bought a 505 for my wife as pretty soon she's going to find it tricky to manage her paper books (just found out we're expecting twins ) though she's not getting it until chrsitams (by then she should have her own built-in book stand ).

Congratulations on the news of the twins. Name:  babytwins.gif
Views: 396
Size:  3.6 KB

Yes, tell your wife to read fast (while she still has the chance.)

Will this be your first (and second?)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

So it goes.
You could always replace the 500 screen by cannibalizing the screen from your 505.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If Sony could recovery their costs by selling an updated firmware with the new features they would probably do it. As the recent poll showed (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50725) most people wouldn't pay for it and they would piss off customers anyway. I personally think they made the correct decision.

Edit: Actually I thought they made the correct decision until they announced they're dropping LRX support. It would appear that PRS-500 owners won't be able to get content from Sony.

Last edited by Barcey; 08-13-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote