Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2024, 06:09 PM   #1
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
Possibility of using old NST/NSTG with proxy/certificate update

I have a couple of these ancient e-readers.

Putting aside the utterly insulting coupon offer, is it possible to work around the EOL?

Is there any information on what changed?

The most 'obvious' failure mode would be certificate provider changes, where the root certificate isn't in the old firmware - this seems straightforward to fix with rooted devices.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:48 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It may not be the certificates so much as the firmware does not support TLS 1.2+.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2024, 11:00 PM   #3
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk View Post
I have a couple of these ancient e-readers.

Putting aside the utterly insulting coupon offer, is it possible to work around the EOL?

Is there any information on what changed?

The most 'obvious' failure mode would be certificate provider changes, where the root certificate isn't in the old firmware - this seems straightforward to fix with rooted devices.
What is it exactly you want to "work around"? If you just want to run the device as registered, see "The Phoenix Project" : https://xdaforums.com/t/nst-g-the-ph...oject.4673934/

Otherwise, yes, it is possible to update some certificates but not to add TLS 1.2. The certificate for the Kindle app was updated awhile back and I did one a few years ago for FBReader sync.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:05 PM   #4
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
There are some intriguing possibilities here, should you wish to develop.

While I am unaware of any public research on the BN communication protocol, it is self-documented.

Given this lack of public research, it is unclear what the protocol changeover will look like, or when it will happen. There is nothing in the current APK to suggest something beyond new SSL, new certificates, and possibly version checking.

There is a single URL in a SQLITE3 database which you can change to point the store to a resource of your own choosing.

Depending on how the new server implements version checking, you may be able to proxy requests to the server with a corrected version. If the proxy rejects the private key identifiers from the older devices, you'd have to link the account to a new device.

Implementing a new store would be possible, and not even significant effort.

However, given the fragility of everything described in this post, the easiest way of continuing to use the NST/G is to use the pipeline of rooted Android through Calibre and then usb.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #5
erk
Enthusiast
erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.erk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: SONY PRS505
I was semi-successfully able to connect into the Nook mothership with my rooted NST.

To do this, I modified [CODE]/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db[/CODE
]

With:
Code:
sqlite3 devicemanager.db "UPDATE registry SET value=\"http://192.168.1.1:8080/bncloud/serviceD?version=1\" where _id=14 ;"
On the router, I ran
Code:
mitmproxy
using the command-line
Code:
mitmproxy --mode reverse:https://bncs.barnesandnoble.com/
The NST was able to see lists and recommendations.

However, it will not actually download books due to being unable to proxy
Code:
https://netdelivery.barnesandnoble.com
For this, I would need to enable "Transparent Proxying" and update the certificate files on the Nook.

Does anyone know if this works the same as Kindle, where there is a system certificate file and a Java certificate file?

My conclusion is that older Nooks are not yet banned from the store.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert