Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 10-26-2023, 04:42 PM   #1
Jackwc
Jackwc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Highlight note styles

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if there was a way to implement styles for the notes attached to highlights in the Viewer?

For instance: I might want to italicize the title of another book I mention in a note, or, perhaps most usefully, link to text citations within the note -- like, copy and paste a citation with X, paste it into a note for a highlight relevant to/referencing the cited text, and be able to just click the link in the note and be taken there. Hyperlinks to websites would be cool too, without having to copy and paste them into a browser from the note.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks all.
Jackwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid notes are plain text only. That might change someday but it wont be anytime soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 04:48 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is Victorian era typewriter markup. This uses *bold* and /italics/, though 'italics' and _italics_ are/were also used. The Typesetter was also supposed to figure ' " from context and also some typewriters had no 0 or 1, so O and I was used and changed by typesetter. The -omit this- became strikeout and sometimes _text_ meant heading, bold or underline, but many early typewriters had no _. Some had no ! and used l <backspace> . and the £ might sometimes be L <backspace> - or =, similarly for $ and Yen. The \ | ` ¦ ¬ { } [ ] ~ and all quotation marks were missing.

This led to Markdown and AsciiDoc

There is also BBCode (more typing, but more features as it's a subset of HTML using [ ] instead of < >, might as well use HTML/XML) and Wiki text. While Wiki text allows a lot of formatting, it thus has a longer learning curve.

There is also LaTex, but it's even more learning.

The USA IBM PC keyboard is based on a 1930s ASR Teletype (used for telegrams, telex, RTTY, punching morse tapes etc), which is why the @ was used for email, as early computers from 1940s to 1970s often used a teletype rather than CRT and keyboard.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-28-2023 at 05:04 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote