Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do <u> tags render on your device or app?

Attached is an epub2 that consists of a single line of text that is encapsulated by <u> tags.

I'm trying to determine what, if any, rendering systems or devices do not show the single line of text as being underlined.

If you're using something that allows you to override an ebook's css (of which this epub has none), please consider disabling that for the purposes of this test.

I'm not looking for a debate into whether using <u> tags is allowed by spec, or wise. Just a yes/no and the names of the devices/apps you've tested it with.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: epub underlined.epub (1.7 KB, 164 views)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Underlined:
Nook Simple Touch (ereader)
Kobo Touch (ereader)
Lithium (Android)
Moon+ Reader Pro (Android)
Gitden Reader (Android)
Media365 Reader (Android)
AlReader (Android)
OReader (Android)
PocketBook (Android)
eBoox (Android)
Cool Reader (Android)
KOReader (Android)
Nexto (Android)

Not underlined:
FBReader Premium (Android)
eReader Prestigio (Android)
Librera PRO (Android)

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 07-23-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fix: Librera, however, not.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Microsoft Edge on Windows 10: yes.
ADE 2.0.1 on Windows 10: yes.
Bookari Premium on Android: yes (with both the RMSDK and Readium engines).
Moon+ on Android: yes.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
<u> renders as underlined on all of the following:

desktop:
  • Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 (Mac)
  • Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1 (Mac)
  • Apple Books (Mac)
  • Kindle Previewer (i.e., Kindle Previewer recognizes and converts <u> as underlined for Kindle E-reader, Tablet, Phone)

ereaders:
  • Sony PRS-T2 (Adobe RMSDK)
  • I assume it will render correctly when converted for my eink Kindles given the Kindle Previewer results

iOS apps:
  • Hyphen
  • MapleRead
  • Marvin
  • Dropbox
  • Apple Books

Last edited by odamizu; 08-06-2019 at 11:21 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Pocketbook Inkpad 3, yes.

I didn't test your file on my Kobo Aura HD, but I have used <u> before and it has always worked.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
bravosx
Connoisseur
bravosx began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3464B, Onyx Lynx, Lenovo S5000 i Tab4-8"
ADE 4.5.7 on Windows 10: yes.
bravosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
Underlined in:

iOS apps:

Bookari
iBooks
tiReader
KyBook3
Kobo Books
Documents

Kobo Forma
Koreader in kobo Forma
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
beluga438
beluga438 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Muse
Bookeen Muse : yes
beluga438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
According to https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_u.asp the u tag "Defines text that should be stylistically different from normal text" although they then proceed to assume it will underline the text. Some sites even said that specific styling like underlining isn't implied or required and you need to set the style in the CSS. So as long as the ereader honors the styling for the u tag in your CSS you're good to go.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
According to https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_u.asp the u tag "Defines text that should be stylistically different from normal text" although they then proceed to assume it will underline the text. Some sites even said that specific styling like underlining isn't implied or required and you need to set the style in the CSS. So as long as the ereader honors the styling for the u tag in your CSS you're good to go.
Only for HTML5, for HTML 4, the 'u' tag was used to define underlined text. Personally, I just added a u, text-decoration: underline in my stylesheet's boilerplate. BTW, that did not make 'u' work with several Android epub renderers one author I worked with wanted to support. <rant about too many Android epub renderers being pieces of crap deleted>.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Only for HTML5, for HTML 4, the 'u' tag was used to define underlined text. Personally, I just added a u, text-decoration: underline in my stylesheet's boilerplate. BTW, that did not make 'u' work with several Android epub renderers one author I worked with wanted to support. <rant about too many Android epub renderers being pieces of crap deleted>.
Yeah, I keep forgetting about the usual backwards compatibility with the usual "pieces of crap".
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I specifically said I'm not interested in conversation pertaining to matters of spec in the very first post.

I'm only interested in how few devices/apps won't underline text in u tags. So far it seems to be very few.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@DiapDealer, why is it you want to know about <u>? I'm curious as to why. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@DiapDealer, why is it you want to know about <u>? I'm curious as to why. Thanks.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=43 and related prior posts.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
late to the party?
kobo mini - underlined
sony prs-t1 - underlined
(both with regular firmware)
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote