Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Winkels
Winkels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Got a new Kobo... a few questions

1. I bought a book from the Kobo website but for some reason I can't find the file or folder on my computer where it's stored. What should I be looking for and where should I be looking (the store didn't offer me the option of saving it to a particular location - I'm on a Vista machine).

2. I added a half dozen EPUB files from Project Gutenberg then drag'n'dropped them into the Kobo when it was plugged in. Is there a reason why the Kobo still shows it's connected even though I ejected it multiple times? Every time I try to eject it I get an error message.

3. After unplugging, the "Please wait while your Kobo ereader processes new content" message stays on for an unholy amount of time. Six files (with the largest one barely more than 1 MB) has already spent over 40 minutes processing yet the progress bar is less than halfway done. Is this normal?

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by Winkels; 05-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Winkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Have you tried turning off your Kobo (the button on the top) and turning it back on? If you are really at sea, you may need to turn the device over and find a paperclip to "reset" the device -- you'll see a small hole on the back near the base.

Have you installed the Kobo desktop software yet?

Plug in the Kobo and in Vista using Explorer (aka File Manager) find the drive marked "Kobo" -- it's likely D, E, F, or G. Inside, you'll find a Window folder under Desktop Installer. Allow that to install -- it creates an interface between you and the Kobo store (don't worry, you don't have to buy anything).

Next, install Adobe Digital Editions -- ADE -- and create an account there. It's based on an e-mail address you supply and registers your Vista computer; again, you don't have to buy anything.

With it running, plug in the Kobo with a USB cable ... ADE should recognise your Kobo. Using the Library "Add books" feature of ADE, add all the Gutenburg ePubs you want. You can also add purchased Kobo books and library books. Anything in your Library can be dragged to the bottom left corner marked "Kobo Reader" (as long as it is plugged in). You also use this tool to delete anything on your Kobo you added through ADE.

There is no need to "manually" add titles the way you have.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Winkels
Winkels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks. To answer your questions:

1. I tried the paperclip thing and that reset it. Had to plug it in to get all the books back though.

2. Yes, I did install the Kobo software.

3. I didn't bother with the ADE. What I did do was drag and drop after plugging the Kobo in. For some reason the Kobo "sees" certain EPUB files but not others. No rhyme or reason, really: it found two out of three in a series and ignored the third.

Is ADE really going to fix that problem?
Winkels is offline   Reply With Quote