Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2024, 09:37 PM   #1
ereaderlover123
ereaderlover123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to make sure my kindle paperwhite never updates?

Hey I have a very old kindle paperwhite I think generation 3 that's never updated. I always keep it on airplane mode expect when I need a book to be sent to the kindle but is there a way to prevent the automatic update from occuring?
What is the likelihood an update could be forced on this old of a device now?
ereaderlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderlover123 View Post
Hey I have a very old kindle paperwhite I think generation 3 that's never updated. I always keep it on airplane mode expect when I need a book to be sent to the kindle but is there a way to prevent the automatic update from occuring?
What is the likelihood an update could be forced on this old of a device now?
If you are on the latest firmware, you're OK as it's no longer being updated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2024, 10:31 AM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
They haven't done updates in years on that model (I have it too). The only way you can guarantee no updates is to stop turning off Airplane mode. Learn to sideload.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:54 PM   #4
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.jackm8 shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The only way you can guarantee no updates is to stop turning off Airplane mode. Learn to sideload.
Even better it would be to erase wifi login from it.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:20 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Kindle PW Gen 3 is based on Generation 7 of Kindle platform. According to Amazon, the latest software is 5.16.2.1.1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
which is JB-compatible.

Probably this is the last update for it, but who knows.

Another option is stuff up the storage until < 200 MB left. OTA won't download in that case.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #6
leito360
leito360 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Kindle PW Gen 3 is based on Generation 7 of Kindle platform. According to Amazon, the latest software is 5.16.2.1.1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
which is JB-compatible.

Probably this is the last update for it, but who knows.

Another option is stuff up the storage until < 200 MB left. OTA won't download in that case.
Hello, i'm on PW 11th gen, are you sure 5.16.2 is JB compatible? Because I was thinking about installing KOReader on it since the "amazon deleted all my sideloaded books" fiasco. Could you point me to the guide to do the JB in case it's possible to do so?
leito360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #7
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leito360 View Post
Hello, i'm on PW 11th gen, are you sure 5.16.2 is JB compatible? Because I was thinking about installing KOReader on it since the "amazon deleted all my sideloaded books" fiasco. Could you point me to the guide to do the JB in case it's possible to do so?
I recently jailbroke my Kindle 11th gen. Yes 5.16.2 is compatible but LanguageBreak recommends updating to 5.16.2.1.1 for best results. Worked for me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356872

PW 11th gen firmware (PW5):
https://files.cocaine.trade/firmware/kindle/PW5/

Suggested Modding Guide: https://kindlemodding.gitbook.io/kin...4.3-5.16.2.1.1

The Kindle 11th gen uses Koreader package PW2. I used koreader-kindlepw2-v2024.04.zip:
https://build.koreader.rocks/download/stable/v2024.04/

Last edited by jlinear; Yesterday at 12:18 PM.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
However KOReader makes no difference. It's never connecting to WiFi that ensures Amazon can't accidentally delete content.

No problem with PW3 here, because the WiFi is never on.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
KOReader doesn’t care about which so folder you choose as your “home”.
Amazon only deletes books in /documents folder as far as I know.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote