Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Jane Austen continuations

Since we recently had a thread on Jane Austen and clearly have many fans, I wonder whether anyone has read any of the multiplicity of purported continuations of Austen's novels. Most of them seem to focus on Pride and Prejudice (just try searching on the word "Pemberley" at Amazon). Does anyone recommend any of them?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I think the rise in popularity of Austen again is due to the Zombie books. You know, that old mania of our poor culture of recycling/parodying/desconstructing old ideas since we can't come up with anything new ourselves...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In a word, no. They're unreadable. Which logically means I haven't read them and I haven't, but I dipped into a few when a bunch of them were free for Austen's birthday last year. Generally speaking, the authors have no feel for Austen's language, no real knowledge of Regency England, no sense of the larger themes, no feel for the characters and even no memory for what happened in the books themselves.

Back before Austen became an industry, I did read a P&P sequel by Emma Tennant, Pemberley (1993). Among the howlers, she had Darcy's mother named Susan and his father named Fitzwilliam. Almost 20 years later and I haven't forgotten, lol!

What amazes me is that people who presumably are fans of Austen can read this dreck. If there's a gem out there among the dross, I haven't seen it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
I agree with Issybird. All of the books I have attempted to read either in DTB or ebook format have not been even close to Austen. I can't get into the story when the language is completely off or the terminology is not accurate for the time period. I prefer just to re-read the Austen books and leave the sequels alone. If a really good one is out there, hopefully I'll find it eventually.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've tried to read them, but I just can't get into them. They are either too precious or else the attitudes/behavior are all wrong for the time period.

I think the only person who might have successfully written a continuation of Austen would have been Georgette Heyer, and she wisely never tried.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Georgette Heyer certainly was deeply into the period, but her secret was that her heroines were not. They were usually subtly modern in their thinking, even though they usually followed the social conventions.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Hmm. Georgette Heyer sounds interesting. What books has she written?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The Watsons and Sanditon

I don't know if this is what you precisely had in mind, but there are continuations of Sanditon {Jane Austen's final, but incomplete novel} and The Watsons, an earlier work which seems promising but in which she apparently lost interest.

Sanditon cuts off mid-chapter. Enough is there to show that another masterpiece was in the making. I have the continuations of both--they are available in paperback.I have just finished reading the 1977 completion of The Watsons—an early fragment of a novel by Jane Austen. This work was begun around 1805 and Jane Austen wrote the first five chapters {as they are reproduced in the 1977 completion} in a burst of creativity. She then abandoned the work and never resumed it.

As to The Watsons It is early Austen. She had already written Elinor and Marianne {now lost} which was the first version of Sense and Sensibility. Between 1796-97 First Impressions, {also lost} a novel in letter format, was complete and read to the family. It was later developed into Pride and Prejudice. Northanger Abbey was composed in 1797-98. The Watsons, then is part of this early context of composition. Why she abandoned the promising narrative is unknown, but Cassandra, her beloved sister, said that the next major event in the book was to be the death of the heroine’s Father. Then Jane’s father actually did die. In additon. a close friend tragically died in an accident. Perhaps these events simply made it emotionally impossible for her to continue the book. Then, as time passed, her style became more sophisticated,, her characters became more complex and her treatment of subject matter and theme deepened and became ever more assured. In the event, she simply outgrew the story of The Watsons.

Still, the story has held a fascination. After Jane’s death her brother married one of her closest friends and Cassandra spent long visits with them. Austen’s works, including The Watsons were read aloud and discussed and Cassandra elaborated the further developments which were to occur in the unfinished novel. One of the nieces, Catherine Anne Austen Hubback actually wrote a novel in 1850 called The Younger Sister which seems to be an extension of The Watsons and is possibly based on the knowledge Cassandra had of it. Catherine’s grand-daughter, Edith Hubback Brown, then took this novel and used it as the basis of a completion of the book under its original title. But this version simply didn’t satisfy the writer of the 1977 attempt because he stated that it “so greatly compressed the plot’s development that it did less than justice to Jane’s own work.” The author of the completion, {David Hopkinson} is married to a descendent of Catherine Hubback and acknowledges her help as well as that of another great great great niece of Jane Austen.

So, if you decide to try this literary curiosity, the first five chapters are all by Jane Austen herself. Then Hopkinson takes over and spins an entertaining tale written in an 18th century style. He doesn’t succeed completely. There are stylistic anachronisms and he simply cannot match Austen’s brilliant narrative technique. Further, there are certain plot pointers in the fragment which he fails to develop properly. All that said, it is still an enjoyable read and it’s nice to have the story completed more or less as Austen had in mind.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-29-2011 at 03:46 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I feel guilty lowering the tone here, but I have dipped into the "fanpublication" world of Harry Potter - taht is James Potter - and found broadly similar results.

Not worth the time, really.

It's rather like most "continuation" attempts, they can't possibly approach the original authors .. well. anything really - language, knowledge, creativity, originality, .... endless reasons.
It's obvious when you think about it - but sometimes you just can't stop yourself having a look !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
DMB
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
Hmm. Georgette Heyer sounds interesting. What books has she written?
Heyer wrote in two different genres: detective stories and historical novels. I don't find the first as interesting as the second. Her first few historical novels, The Black Moth, Powder and Patch, These Old Shades and The Masqueraders are set in the 18th century. The first three in particular are full of rather stilted "18th-century" language. Later on she homed in to the Regency period, acquiring an encyclopaedic knowledge of the politics, mores and slang of the period. Most people prefer her Regency books.

She was a very popular writer and is well thought of by many more "literary" writers. I enjoy her books because they are usually very funny as well as being good page-turners.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
On a completely different tangent, Reginald Hill based a recent Pascoe & Dalziel mystery novel on Sanditon - "The Price of Butcher's Meat" - if I remember arightly, the title is taken from Sanditon - some unwanted sage advice given by a mother to her rebellious daughter as to what will be important to her once she is married.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
It isn't really a continuation, but it is fanfic-Pamela Aidan's Fitzwilliam Darcy series is really good (except book 2 that is). It's the story from Darcy's pov. I loved the first and third books, the second is totally unnecessary and just weird (by weird I mean I remember thinking it had absolutely nothing to do with the focus of the story) but hey, that's just me. I'd totally recommend it to any P&P fan.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
purple_fishy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Heyer wrote in two different genres: detective stories and historical novels. I don't find the first as interesting as the second. Her first few historical novels, The Black Moth, Powder and Patch, These Old Shades and The Masqueraders are set in the 18th century. The first three in particular are full of rather stilted "18th-century" language. Later on she homed in to the Regency period, acquiring an encyclopaedic knowledge of the politics, mores and slang of the period. Most people prefer her Regency books.

She was a very popular writer and is well thought of by many more "literary" writers. I enjoy her books because they are usually very funny as well as being good page-turners.
Thanks! I will definitely look her up, I love historical fiction.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Not really a continuation, but if you like the Jane Austen and the Regency period, you may be amused by the Jane Austen as detective mysteries, by Stephanie Barron. See the first one, Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery (http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Unpleasan...9475184&sr=1-3).

Edited to add: Barron does a good job with speech patterns, etc. of the Regency period.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 06-30-2011 at 07:17 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
unfortunately i also have to agree with issybird. i tried to start a few of the austin continuations, but she's expressed perfectly what i thought about them.

frederica is a great georgette heyer to start with. it certainly was for me years ago - it got me hooked. i love many of her regencies/historicals, two of which - Cotillion and A Civil Contract break some of the regency traditions. and her first book, the black moth, can be downloaded right here on mobile read. it's actually another of my faves.

mobi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Heyer

epub
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Heyer
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote