Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
kasia
kasia began at the beginning.

Device: none
editing books

Hello everyone!

I'm using Calibre to manage my own stuff (well, let's call it poetry). I have all my works in txt files and I exported them to Calibre.

Editing is a problem, though. I can change a text file, but then, it remains the same in the source folder (it only gets changed in the library folder).

Is there any way I can overcome it, in any way?

I'm totally new to Calibre, and I do hope you more or less understand what I mean
kasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasia View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm using Calibre to manage my own stuff (well, let's call it poetry). I have all my works in txt files and I exported them to Calibre.

Editing is a problem, though. I can change a text file, but then, it remains the same in the source folder (it only gets changed in the library folder).

Is there any way I can overcome it, in any way?

I'm totally new to Calibre, and I do hope you more or less understand what I mean
Install the "Open With" plug-in.
If your format is EPUB, then Instal Sigil (next forum down)
Open with is pre-configured for Sigil.
You can also set a 'Custom Open with' for other formats to use any installed (format-compatible) editor.

Open With Edits
do their thin the file Within the Library , use care.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
kasia

Thanks a lot!

Sounds complicated, but let's see if I can do it
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
kasia

Either I didn't express myself clearly, or I didn't understand something.

(Installed Sigil and got stuck).

Let me rephrase my problem.

My works are stored nicely on my hard disk, all of them TXT files.
I'm quite happy with it

However, it would be nice to be able to tag the files, rate them, mark unfinished files and so on. Hence the ebook software.

At the same time, I need to be able to edit the files, not only store and manage them.
Calibre would be great, but when I edit the files in Calibre, they don't get changed in the source folder (the one from which I exported them).

That's why I try to look for some solution...
I could also try different software (free and one that can read Polish fonts).

Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Either I didn't express myself clearly, or I didn't understand something.

(Installed Sigil and got stuck).

Let me rephrase my problem.

My works are stored nicely on my hard disk, all of them TXT files.
I'm quite happy with it

However, it would be nice to be able to tag the files, rate them, mark unfinished files and so on. Hence the ebook software.

At the same time, I need to be able to edit the files, not only store and manage them.
Calibre would be great, but when I edit the files in Calibre, they don't get changed in the source folder (the one from which I exported them).

That's why I try to look for some solution...
I could also try different software (free and one that can read Polish fonts).

Any ideas?
Once you put books into Calibre, That become the source (folder) for all purposes.
The Original folder, is just that: The Original version. you could Archive it OFF the computer and Calibre will manage the 'current' version.

Calibre can Export books (save to Disk) to any folder (but the template will prevail on file naming).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
kasia

Sounds reasonable. Still, when "saving to disk", I get all those "unnecessary" files/folders, which I don't like.

Thanks for pointing that out, I believe it's the best option for me anyway.

If anyone can come up with any other idea, please let me know.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Sounds reasonable. Still, when "saving to disk", I get all those "unnecessary" files/folders, which I don't like.
See preferences -> save to disk. You can select not to save OPF files and JPEG covers as well as configure the directory and filename structure based on the metadata in the library.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Text files are a very poor choice for your original books; they have no formatting. Do you buy books and then convert them to plain text? I'm a little puzzled - I don't know of anyone who publishes books as text files! Or are you talking about public domain stuff from PG? Even they, though, do HTML, which is much better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Text files are a very poor choice for your original books; they have no formatting.
Markdown or Textile. Formatting for TXT. Both do a really good job for reading in the TXT file and for converting to other formats.

Quote:
Do you buy books and then convert them to plain text?
I do.

Quote:
I'm a little puzzled - I don't know of anyone who publishes books as text files! Or are you talking about public domain stuff from PG? Even they, though, do HTML, which is much better.
I only use EPUB when the book contains pictures. If it's just text I prefer TXT.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good heavens! I've never cone across anyone who does that before. Oh well, as long as it's what you want .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool italics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
...If it's just text I prefer TXT.
what do you do about italics?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
what do you do about italics?
Not all books have or need them. If there is a need for them then Markdown or Textile takes care of it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
kasia

I write my poetry in TXT precisely because there is no formatting, just plain text.

Just a couple of lines, no need for italics. I can edit them with no problem. Opens easily, I don't need to worry about formatting, and I believe it's easy to convert IF I want to change the format. I like this simplicity.

Last edited by kasia; 09-01-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: just a couple of things to add ;)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I write my poetry in TXT precisely because there is no formatting, just plain text.
True, basic text doesn't have formatting, but as user_none indicated using Markdown or Textile text preserves most all formatting.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #15
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:

Just a couple of lines, no need for italics. I can edit them with no problem. Opens easily, I don't need to worry about formatting, and I believe it's easy to convert IF I want to change the format. I like this simplicity.
I can highly recommend Markdown syntax. It is still plain text and very simple, but uses specific characters to make the text look good. These characters make conversion to ePub very easy, and calibre has a tick-box for Markdown processing.

See http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ for more details.

(Textile has more functionality but does not look as good. Markdown is specifically designed to enhance the look of plain text.)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing