Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
Yes 43 50.59%
No 28 32.94%
Maybe 13 15.29%
I would even pay for it! 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #91
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
1. The finger and text touch keyboard annotation on epub exports by various methods. Don't annotate epubs by pen. Export is via USB plain text.
Oh, I agree, and I would never do any serious notes on an epub using the stylus. But you've got a half ton of folks with shiny new styluses and Libra Colours in their hands and a great many of them are excited about the idea of doing their notes directly on their epubs/kepubs.

They are happy NOW, but will they be happy later when they realize their notes, their thoughts done in this way, can't be exported or backed up? Or worse, when they break a screen or lose their device and lose all their notes? I'm guessing not so much.

At any rate, I don't really see Kobo offering Send-to-Kobo, and it's not something *I* need. I'm more in favor of Kobo adding improvements/features to the UI. I'd love to see a right side swipe to adjust the comfort light for instance. Or have them develop a remote page-turner. I'd use both!

But I'm not against such a feature. As I said when I voted, I think it would bring Kobo more customers. They are getting the customers now, but those folks might well run right back to Amazon and take their friends with them if they catastrophically lost their notes.

I mean, I know screenshots can be enabled on Kobo, how hard would it have been to add something like that to the UI natively, as a way to preserve the handwritten notes? Perhaps more difficult than I realize, but then again, perhaps not.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:34 PM   #92
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've been Team Kobo since I migrated from Sony; it's only been a couple of years since I've even had Kindles. And while at this point, my MO is to direct download to the proprietary devices from the Kobo and Kindle stores, I have to say that when it's a book outside those parameters as in public domain from wherever, my tendency is to use STK. Instantaneous, no tethering, syncs across devices. Why wouldn't you?

That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
At any rate, I don't really see Kobo offering Send-to-Kobo, and it's not something *I* need. I'm more in favor of Kobo adding improvements/features to the UI. I'd love to see a right side swipe to adjust the comfort light for instance. Or have them develop a remote page-turner. I'd use both!
This is also true for me. I can get along without Send-to-Kobo and just as well since I also don't think it's happening. And oh, a remote page-turner! I'm there. My hands get so darned cold in the winter. If I could keep them under a blanket? That would beat STK any time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:19 PM   #93
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've been Team Kobo since I migrated from Sony; it's only been a couple of years since I've even had Kindles. And while at this point, my MO is to direct download to the proprietary devices from the Kobo and Kindle stores, I have to say that when it's a book outside those parameters as in public domain from wherever, my tendency is to use STK. Instantaneous, no tethering, syncs across devices. Why wouldn't you?
As for myself, for several reasons. First, I want the metadata, series information and collections to be transferred over from Calibre; only possible with the USB transfer, not with a STK-like service. Second, I often transfer many new books to my Kobos at once, 20-50 or even more - this is because I won't load anything until I've edited the metadata and the formatting. Sending that many books via STK would be a pain, and because I keep wifi off on my ereaders, never instantaneous. It would be much slower than loading them via USB.

I never download anything directly - as I said, I edit the metadata and the formatting of all my ebooks and never read a book until I've done that. So I only ever use the copies in Calibre for reading, not the originals on Kobo or Amazon servers.

Those are my personal reasons for not wanting to use Send to Kobo. I'm well aware that many people would love to have it, though.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 08:30 AM   #94
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm not against Kobo providing it per-se, if no downsides.
Quote:
Would you like a "Send to Kobo" service like Kindle?
As in me using, it? No I'd never use it, thus I personally wouldn't "like" it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:15 PM   #95
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think they would do well to have such a service: Apple, Google, and PocketBook all do.

If anything, Apple and PocketBook are more convenient than Send To Kindle: just open a book (side-load, share from cloud storage etc) and it uploads to library where it can be accessed from any linked device/app. It is something I make use of, just as I do when reading third party content on Kindle platform.

In my continuing quest to expand my horizons beyond Kindle, I'm thinking of getting a Clara Colour. While not having such a service is not a deal breaker, it doesn't check any boxes, either. It would be 'nice to have'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:49 PM   #96
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I had an Apple 4S for a while. Sideloading (which worked on Linux) only worked with some 3rd party apps. I could only use the Apple music player by using iTunes on Windows.

Apple is so walled they have to provide iCloud. I'll not ever get any Apple product again.

Kindle has also got more restrictive. Collections and Series is now broken if you have older and newer Kindles. You used to be able to manage collections from PC. Amazon seem to want you to use their web site. You can't set series at all and it's often wrong or missing on Amazon. See also how Amazon Scribe PDF/KFX works compared to really simple Kobo via USB (Sage, Elipsa etc).

I don't mind what Kobo add as long as current brilliant ability to manage everything via Windows/Mac/Linux is not affected.

So Apple and Amazon are really bad examples as the products are crippled without the vendor's remote server and a decent internet connection.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:56 PM   #97
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, it is going to be a real problem when civilization inevitably ceases to exist.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 04:11 PM   #98
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Not sure at all if some people from Kobo ever visit this forum, but if they do, I hope they noticed that in general, a good amount of users would be in favor of some mechanism to send their ebooks OTA to their Kobo.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 05:14 PM   #99
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A proportion of a very small set of users which I doubt is representative of the typical user

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:49 PM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
A proportion of a very small set of users which I doubt is representative of the typical user
it's a case where I suspect the typical user would appreciate it more than users here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 10:24 PM   #101
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As for myself, for several reasons. First, I want the metadata, series information and collections to be transferred over from Calibre; only possible with the USB transfer, not with a STK-like service. Second, I often transfer many new books to my Kobos at once, 20-50 or even more - this is because I won't load anything until I've edited the metadata and the formatting. Sending that many books via STK would be a pain, and because I keep wifi off on my ereaders, never instantaneous. It would be much slower than loading them via USB.

I never download anything directly - as I said, I edit the metadata and the formatting of all my ebooks and never read a book until I've done that. So I only ever use the copies in Calibre for reading, not the originals on Kobo or Amazon servers.

Those are my personal reasons for not wanting to use Send to Kobo. I'm well aware that many people would love to have it, though.
Exactly all this for me too.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote