Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2024, 11:15 AM   #1
PeterHouse
PeterHouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2023
Hello and Looking for Help

Hello!

I downloaded Calibre a few weeks ago to fix some issues in one of my favorite books. The book was originally published in 1995 and I have a paperback version.

I have been using a Kindle since 2013 and carry it with me wherever I go and would like to have this book on the Kindle. Amazon had the book available, for only a few weeks, in the Kindle format which I purchased.

Unfortunately, the book has a lot (hundreds) of errors from really bad OCR scanning. Most of the errors are added or missing spaces, added or missing paragraph changes, repeated sentences, jumbled paragraphs where two paragraphs seem to have been merged, Sections and Chapter headings are part of the text, and others. I recently reread the book and marked ALL of the errors using the note function on my kindle.

I have these issues:

1 - The data in the Kindle notes references a location number and I need to reconcile this number to a location in the epub so I can go there and edit the source. Unfortunately, only 15% of the errors are search/replace friendly

2 - The epub is riddled with formatting tags which are empty or redundant. Is there a way to clean this up automatically.

3 - I am doing this for myself as it is a copyrighted work. I would not mind providing it to the author or Amazon. Is there a way to contact either?

Probably other issues, I have not come across yet . . .

Thank you.
PeterHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:28 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It sounds like it would be easier to purchase another edition, if one exists. Was the Kindle edition the only digital edition that's been released? Perhaps another edition exists?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is possible that there is no legal e-book version of this book available. For many older books it can be unclear who currently has the right to publish it or the rights holder may simply be uninterested in producing an e-book edition.

I have seen many very poorly formatted versions of older books pop up on the Kindle platform that appear to be pirated copies. Those usually disappear from Amazon’s catalog once they are brought to someone’s attention.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It would be really great if there was a GoTo+ plugin for the editor that would accept the various "notes" indexes use by devices.
In this case Loc,
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:26 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
3 - I am doing this for myself as it is a copyrighted work. I would not mind providing it to the author or Amazon. Is there a way to contact either?
A few years back a favourite author of mine popular back in the '60-80's was trying to get some of his older work out in ebook format. I got one of his works from Amazon as an ebook, and it was pretty terrible. After a lot of googling I managed to get in touch with him and sent him a copy-edited version...which led to a very nice conversation about ebooks and how to do them. Great experience. Very much worth trying to make contact with an author!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:49 AM   #6
PeterHouse
PeterHouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2023
Thank you all for your timely responses.

@Sirtel - I have not seen another edition for sale in ebook format. The "Free Internet Library" has one and it is also terrible - the pictures in the book were scanned as text with expected bad result! I have also found it on libgen.is and is the best ebook I have found in the epub format with very nice pictures - probably better than if I scanned the book I have.
@jhowell - I suspect you are correct.
@theducks - That would be nice. I am using a scaling factor based on the max location of 18889 on my Kindle and it gets me close.
@retiredbiker - Thank you for the encouragement, I plan to contact the author.

By the way, the book is "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross.
PeterHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sorry but asking for help with pirated books is not supported. While I do realize that it appears that no legitimate ebook version is available, that is not an excuse.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:34 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The author John Ross died on the 29th April 2022.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:42 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Might be a bit hard to contact him then...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:45 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Leslie Charteris gave up writing long before he died. He employed Ghost Writers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote