Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-07-2024, 09:12 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are running calibre on a library, there is a very good chance that it will be modifying the database.

As for asking on the site about running calibre with a library stored on DropBox? I'm sorry but my experience with the posts I read since I started on MobileRead is that using any type of network attached storage for a calibre library makes it a matter of when not if your library will be corrupted which makes hard to see how anyone in the possession of a moiety of their mind would have told you that doing so is okay.

Run calibre with your library on local storage. Use a one-way sync to copy your library to a cloud storage. That I've seen recommended. Your suggestion about running calibre with the library stored in the cloud? That I have never seen recommended.

Did you even read the information at the two links I posted?

DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 07:31 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
But in fact, based on the number of downloads and the activity in the fora, there are many users of this software and I doubt more than a handful use it on an independent cloud backup.

In fact, a couple of years ago, I asked on the site whether running Calibre on a Dropbox file and only accessing that file outside of Calibre to copy it to somewhere else was likely to result in any corruption. The consensus then--even from the "never touch the files" group was that no harm would result.

Of course, Calibre has moved on from there and it might be modifying files in the background now, but I don't think so.
Whoever answered that no harm would result is wrong. As was said before. Not if it will go wrong, but when.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 08:44 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Whoever answered that no harm would result is wrong. As was said before. Not if it will go wrong, but when.
I expect a post was misinterpreted, or out of context or a less expert person.
I've never seen it claimed it's OK to use Calibre with remote files. It never would have been safe, ever.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 11:38 AM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just to make clear.
There are folk who run the CONTENT SERVER on a NAS. (not officially
supported) This is not the same as running Calibre on the desktop and the Library on shared media.

THAT is an entire Calibre install, not just the Library files. Everything (calibre) is on the same system. The Library is local to the Server using them.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:13 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just to make clear.
There are folk who run the CONTENT SERVER on a NAS. (not officially
supported) This is not the same as running Calibre on the desktop and the Library on shared media.

THAT is an entire Calibre install, not just the Library files. Everything (calibre) is on the same system. The Library is local to the Server using them.
So it's just like installing Calibre on a Linux PC with loads of disks, sticking it in the attic with SAMBA setup and telling people you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

I added bold. So it's not accessing Calibre files or database on a NAS at all. It's using the content
server on a Calibre that's got private local files.

So if your "NAS" is running a standard sort of Linux such that this works on it (either via remote or local screen)
https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
Run this in a console on it:
Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
You then have to start calibre and then start the content server on that "NAS" box.
Then it's "supported".

I've had a slideshow and mp3 playlist on my server for a while with the 2nd HDMI port plugged into a DVB-T HD modulator feeding the home TV distribution. I used a big USB memory stick for the files so as to not wear out the head actuators on the HDDs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibredb, catalog, csv, path