Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #16
RKrueger
RKrueger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Just did a file sync with my Scribe in 7.12 and the thumbnails for newly added books compressed into a square shape. Anyone else experience this?
RKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 10:25 AM   #17
OuyangZhu
OuyangZhu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrueger View Post
Just did a file sync with my Scribe in 7.12 and the thumbnails for newly added books compressed into a square shape. Anyone else experience this?
Are you windows, or macOS or linux?
OuyangZhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 10:50 AM   #18
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Great that progress is made in this area. Any ideas on how it's achieved? I've nothing against Calibre, it's great program, but I just organise things on my own, and rarely use it. Changing covers is something that I often do, so I'm interested in the process.
It’s copying a jpg with a certain name to the system/thumbnails folder on the scribe.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:40 AM   #19
iskiros
iskiros began at the beginning.

Quote:
Same for me. Calibre 7.12 and Ubuntu Linux
iskiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 04:27 PM   #20
RKrueger
RKrueger began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuyangZhu View Post
Are you windows, or macOS or linux?
I am on MacOS 14.5.
RKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:42 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuyangZhu View Post
I'm windows 11 and kindle scribe, I tried to use calibre 7.11 to send the file to my kindle scribe, however it did not work, the book cover did not not exsit in my library list as the calibre version before.
If your Scribe recently updated, it might not have had the update which changed it into an MTP device when you tried it before. But all recent updates make this change. Until this update, calibre did not send cover thumbnails to any MTP device.

If you meant 'sent via email' (send to kindle service) you need to send ePub (with a cover) to get cover thumbnails. PDFs that get converted to Print Replica format will not have cover thumbnails after downloading.

I just had a chance to test with W11 and calibre 7.11. It works as expected with AZW3, and cover thumbnail appears in Library. Again, if you send PDF it will not have a cover thumbnail. Kindles don't support that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #22
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Exclamation squished square

Quote:
I just tried on 7.12 and got the same result...square shaped thumbnail, maybe half the height of regular ones next to it.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 06:50 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I just tried on 7.12 and got the same result...square shaped thumbnail, maybe half the height of regular ones next to it.
I have seen this a few times, but they always assume the expected height after some time elapses.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-03-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:22 AM   #24
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Same here, see screenshot, showing covers before update and the one after (Service Model).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle screen.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	208708  

Last edited by grizedale; 06-05-2024 at 10:24 AM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:56 AM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I had one squarish thumbnail, checked it in calibre and sure enough its thumbnail was square there as well. I updated the thumbnail and connected to send the fixed thumbnail.

But after calibre synced all of the side loaded books now have square cover thumbnails. It turns out that all of the cover thumbnails in the amazon-cover-bug folder are square! Calibre 'restored' these on reconnect, overwriting the rectangular ones.

So after removing the side loaded books, re-sending some new ones, and removing amazon-cover-bug folder, I once again have rectangular thumbnails.

I would need to rebuild the book with square thumbnail it seems, changing metadata had no effect.

It must still be the case Kovid does not have a Scribe to test on.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-05-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:24 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kovid committed a fix for the square thumbnail problem several days ago: MTP driver: Preserve cover aspect ratio for thumbnail generation. Fixes #2067755 Thumbnails for Kindle Scribe are resized and look weird (https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2067755) so it should be in the next release of calibre.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote