Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-15-2024, 06:54 AM   #1
lucie
lucie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Location name/number on kindle app ipad

hey, I'm just testing out my first ebook desgin and all looks good but I noticed when I was going through it on the kindle ipad app, that the location within the book at the footer, states the chapter names (which is great as there are multiple authors) but one of them is running with the previous sensitivy warning and not the chapter name. But I have no clue where I change this.

I used indesign to design most of it, then adjusted a few things in sigil.

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated
lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:12 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is likely that some text inside the book was incorrectly marked as being a chapter title.

Review the chapter information found in the NCX file for EPUB 2 or the NAV document for EPUB 3.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:20 AM   #3
lucie

all chapters are set up correctly, thats why im so confused with it!
Old 05-15-2024, 09:31 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggest double checking the chapter titles from within the iOS app using the table of contents icon (three dashed lines) at the upper left.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:22 AM   #5
lucie

You're right!!!

The first chapter although there, isn't in the automatically generated ToC!

Its showing when in Sigil and inDesign, but not on the kindle?

Why would that be?
Old 05-15-2024, 11:16 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Different platforms have their own quirks and limitations. For example Amazon is unhappy if the table of contents does not follow the same order as the content within the book. It is difficult to say what is happening in this case without seeing the actual files involved.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #7
lucie

So it seems that the issue was that it didn't like the file name (chapter name) that I had used in Sigil for the chapter, it had an amersand in it, and wasn't picking up.

I changed it and now its showing.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:46 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

I have seen TOC entries being ignored by Amazon when the link to the HTML file is constructed incrrectly.

For example using
Code:
href="this & that.xhtml"
instead of
Code:
href="this & that.xhtml"
Old 05-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have seen TOC entries being ignored by Amazon when the link to the HTML file is constructed incorrectly.

For example using
Code:
href="this & that.xhtml"
instead of
Code:
href="this & that.xhtml"
Given that the & is one of the five entities*, & would also be usable.

* By five entities, I'm referring to the &, <, >, ', and " predefined entities in xhtml.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-15-2024 at 02:06 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given that the & is one of the five entities*, & would also be usable.
Yes, as expected that also works fine with Amazon. It is a bare ampersand that will result in removal of the TOC entry.