Notices

Old 05-22-2024, 07:45 AM   #1
MGA
Enthusiast
MGA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Clara
EPUB or DOCX to MOBI

Greetings,

I recently converted a DOCX into EPUB in Calibre, and I am quite happy with the result.

However, I am now wishing to also make a mobi file of it, and therefore I wonder if this sounds like asking for trouble, or is it likely that virtually the same DOCX I used for the first project (or even the EPUB itself) will also be able to create a good MOBI, or do you think a lot of editing would be needed before?

Best regards, would be very grateful for any advice.
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I go edit only in odt, Save As (copy) as docx, convert to epub in Calibre.
Fix any issues with headings or images.
Convert the epub2 to dual mobi. Only four early models of Kindle need mobi. It's a terrible format. The dual mobi has original 2007 style mobi and the current azw3/KF8 (which is very similar to epub2, in fact there is an epub from azw3 extraction tool).

Generally no editing is needed. I only use the Calibre editor to do quick fix of <h tags (less than a minute for any size ebook) and CSS of image sizes, AND only for epub being uploaded to publish. Amazon takes epub, but not mobi/azw3/kfx for regular reflowable novels. Same file as works to publish anywhere else.

PDFs are direct from LO Writer, but changed styles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:23 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also you can't edit mobi.

Always make the mobi/KF7, dual mobi, azw3/KF8, KFX, pdb, LRF etc from an epub2.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:48 AM   #4
MGA
Enthusiast
MGA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Clara
Smile

Thanks, you have been helping me quite a lot by now Maaestro...
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 05:06 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Beak is sore now from pecking the keys.