Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2024, 11:50 AM   #31
mdpeterson42
mdpeterson42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually, I discovered a much easier and cleaner way to fix all the blockquote issues. Since Calibre had converted the blockquote into a style, I just replaced every "blockquote" with "p" (leaving in the calibre style reference) and that looks like it may have done the trick.
mdpeterson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:51 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Also, <span> did not work inside the blockquotes for italics. I think I am just going to drop the italics from any blockquotes and call it a day.
You really need to learn the HTML-CSS basics. (those apply to epub)

Not a 'naked' span for Italics. A Span with a style (<span class="<selector name here>" ) that contains font-style:italic;
eg (very basic usage)
Code:
.calibre3 {
  font-style: italic;
}
The same with a Blockquote. If it has a class=, then that selector, fine tunes /overrides the default. So calibre8 is not detrimental in itself, just unnecessary in some cases (where the device HAS reasonable defaults).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:11 PM   #33
mdpeterson42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You really need to learn the HTML-CSS basics. (those apply to epub)
Agreed! I mistakenly thought Calibre took care of all of that, so that if the HTML worked, it would convert it seamlessly. Now I know better!
Old 05-23-2024, 01:18 PM   #34
mdpeterson42

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a 'naked' span for Italics. A Span with a style (<span class="<selector name here>" ) that contains font-style:italic;
eg (very basic usage)
Code:
.calibre3 {
  font-style: italic;
}
Right - I had tried <span class="calibre6"> (which is what it used for the original emphasis), but still got the error.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:33 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpeterson42 View Post
Right - I had tried <span class="calibre6"> (which is what it used for the original emphasis), but still got the error.
Look for a subtle error. like a ; where a : should be

Or a tag nesting is wrong

<span class="foo">Make <b>bold</span></b>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:56 PM   #36
mdpeterson42

:Chewie and Leia 'We Did It' gif:

Thanks to all of your help, I successfully passed the epubcheck for Google Play. I really appreciate all of the insight!
Old 05-23-2024, 05:13 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Load the HTML in calibre. Convert it to text. Load the text in Word and add the styles. Then save as docx and convert to ePub in calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:14 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpeterson42 View Post
Actually, I discovered a much easier and cleaner way to fix all the blockquote issues. Since Calibre had converted the blockquote into a style, I just replaced every "blockquote" with "p" (leaving in the calibre style reference) and that looks like it may have done the trick.
Are you sure that's correct? Is any of that text supposed to be offset?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:58 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
As long as the p has a suitable class it can always replace blockquote.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote