Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2024, 10:33 PM   #1
js1228
js1228 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Send-to-Kindle feature not working

Hi everyone,

I have been using the app for Kindle on an Android tablet for some years now. Recently, I wanted to load a few books onto the device for reading later. My preferred method was to use a USB cable to transfer the books, but there is only one "kindle" directory visible when I look at the content through my computer once the tablet is connected to it. Adding books here does not seem to add them to my library. I may be doing something wrong here as other people online have said they have success with this method.

Since that didn't work, I thought I would just use the "send-to-Kindle" feature as it is native for everything including the e-reader app for tablets. I know there are a few ways to do this, but apparently you can just "share" the book as a normal file and select the Kindle app as the one you want to send it to when you do this.

I did this, and "send-to-kindle" does pop up, but I immediately get a "network error" message that tells me it cannot send the book to Kindle at this time. The only option I have is to close it. I'm wondering if there is a problem or if I am just doing something wrong here. The books I want to send are actually already on the tablet, they just aren't in a place where the Kindle app can recognize them. So, I'm confused why there is even a problem with a network as no kind of connection should be necessary. I just need to files to go from one directory to another.

To be fair, I haven't tried using other send-to-Kindle methods such as using the Amazon webpage or browser extensions or the like, and those may work. I'm just kind of hoping I can get this method to work since it seems like it should be very simple and quick to use, at least in theory.

The files open in other apps and seem to have no issues, I just can't seem to get the Kindle one to open them. There's even a way to add other directories from your tablet that the Kindle app will scan to look for books. I tried adding one such directory in the settings, but it didn't result in the Kindle app seeing any books even though they were in there. I've tried deleting and re-adding files, changing them from one format to a different one to see if there were compatibility issues, and nothing seems to work.

I still have a couple of methods to try, I'm just wondering if I am missing something obvious here. Thank you for reading.
js1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:20 AM   #2
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the apps. Just use the browser and send your book through that: https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle

This works perfectly phone on iOS, Android, Windows, phone, tablet
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:34 AM   #3
js1228
js1228 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you! Looks like I may need to try that.
js1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:06 PM   #4
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1228 View Post
My preferred method was to use a USB cable to transfer the books, but there is only one "kindle" directory visible when I look at the content through my computer once the tablet is connected to it. Adding books here does not seem to add them to my library. I may be doing something wrong here as other people online have said they have success with this method.
Loading over USB only adds it to that specific device. It does not add it to the Personal Documents library of your Amazon account. It also does not sync progress. Everything is local to that device alone.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:42 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
FWIW, I tried sending an ePub using Kindle for Android send to Kindle feature. Sending worked but conversion failed for some reason. It opened just fine with an ePub app on the device.

I use the iOS app routinely to send PDFs that open in browser. That stopped working with Safari some months ago, but it works with Edge.

So yes, it's more predictable to use the web page than the apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote