Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Today, 10:24 AM   #37351
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
When I worked at a hair salon, there was a customer who would constantly be on her phone, using the speaker phone. The stylist would stop whatever she was doing, and say she wouldn't finish if the customer didn't get off the phone. After a couple of times, the customer stopped coming in, like it was the stylist who was being rude. I saw this gal try to use her phone while her head was in the shampoo bowl.

I find this slightly ironic, because, while it never rises to the level of something I'd need to vent or rant about, my frequent issue while getting my hair cut is getting the stylist to shut up with the small talk. I get they are trying to be, maybe even trained to be, personable and friendly, but I'm always looking for a polite way to communicate "I don't want to chat with you about my job or family or plans for the weekend, please just cut my hair and let me sit here quietly." At the dentist office I wear ear buds and tell the hygienist "I'll be listening to my book, so if you need me, tap me on the shoulder." But that never seemed appropriate with a hair stylist.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #37352
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Me too on the speaker in public.

Me too, and we can no longer bring public shame to bear to teach manners. Society is crumbing.

Last edited by ApK; Today at 01:18 PM.
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #37353
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
What is wrong with just having QUIET? I know my hearing is very sensitive, and stuff that bugs me seems to not bother most others. But geez, we don't need audio stimulant 24/7.
Completely agree.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #37354
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I find this slightly ironic, because, while it never rises to the level of something I'd need to vent or rant about, my frequent issue while getting my hair cut is getting the stylist to shut up with the small talk. I get they are trying to be, maybe even trained to be, personable and friendly, but I'm always looking for a polite way to communicate "I don't want to chat with you about my job or family or plans for the weekend, please just cut my hair and let me sit here quietly." At the dentist office I wear ear buds and tell the hygienist "I'll be listening to my book, so if you need me, tap me on the shoulder." But that never seemed appropriate with a hair stylist.
Any stylist worth their salt would be totally fine if you nicely told them that. There were many customers who didn't want to chat, something the stylist would have figured out if they paid attention. Just tell them, you're paying them for their service. They may be relieved as well to not have to keep up the chatter for a while.

I worked with one stylist, she was excellent at what she did, but she never shut up. After we no longer worked at the same place, I went to her a couple of times, and couldn't take it and ended up switching. Her political rants were off the chain. It was too bad, because she knew how to cut/color/style, you name it.

We had one client who had been thru some major trauma and the owner met her early before the normal hours so she didn't have to deal with more than a couple of people in the salon at the same time.

For a time, I was going to a large full service salon. It was so LOUD, even with the separate rooms, the music was obnoxious, the hair dryers, the stylists yelling over the music... I wore earbuds and used white noise on my phone while I sat with color on my hair. I no longer go there. (Also no longer color my hair, Covid grey won the battle)

Last edited by Deskisamess; Today at 03:38 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #37355
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Heh. I go to a small salon where there are 1-2 customers at most at any one time. It is the nearest to my home and I'm quite satisfied with it. But then I wear my hair very short (shorter than many men) and don't color it (I have some grey, but don't much care) and basically only have it cut. No styling either (too short for that). Very quiet and peaceful. Estonians aren't particularly chatty and can be comfortably silent for hours on end, even those who work with customers, so no chatting problem either. I talk more than my hairdresser, and I'm no chatterbox.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #37356
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yesterday I went to a beauty school that was next to my old hairdressing shop that shut down a few weeks ago. The student stylist never said two words to me after my telling him what I wanted. He gave me a perfect cut. There was no music. I loved the silence and will be going back to that young stylist until he graduates.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:26 PM   #37357
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Yesterday I went to a beauty school that was next to my old hairdressing shop that shut down a few weeks ago. The student stylist never said two words to me after my telling him what I wanted. He gave me a perfect cut. There was no music. I loved the silence and will be going back to that young stylist until he graduates.

If that happens to me (and I'm sure it has on occasion) I'll have to remember to thank the stylist for the silence when we're done. Positive re-enforcement and all...

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness