Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2024, 06:11 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AFAIK it isn't BT
Some MS Pens also have BT as well and an extra button that uses BT for OneNote or other things (some a second battery for BT). An MS surface 3 or later compatible 3rd party pen works interchangeably on at least 5 Kobos, as does the Kobo original Pen.
Tested: several Sage models, Elipsa and a Libra 2, which while not having notebooks, the Sketch works with pen and buttons. Neither kind of Pen works on Sketch on the Original Libra.

The original was NTrig and MS liked it so much they bought them and swapped to it on the Surface 3. Earlier they used Wacom. MS first added pen support in 1992 on Win 3.1. Win9x had a version and there was an XP Tablet edition. All non-MS HW and mostly Wacom.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-21-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:42 PM   #32
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Copying a pencil with an eraser top was mad in the 1990s when Wacom first did it. It makes more sense to have two buttons on the barrel and none on the end.

A physical pencil has the eraser on the top end because it's the only way to do it, though often separate erasers are better quality. There are even models in a pencil/pen like tube.

It's a pointless gimmick putting a button on the top end on n electronic stylus. We decided that in 1989 by tests when designing a "pen" for a PDA-like gadget.
This.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:51 PM   #33
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This.

Curious. I find the eraser end very handy when annotating books or writing in a notebook. With the Stylus 1, the higher second button is a tad uncomfortable for me to access.

Does anybody else use a Stylus 2 here? I’m wondering if you trigger the highlight button accidentally as I do. Another problem I have is that the button is so flush with the barrel, sometimes I have a hard time finding it without looking since the pen rotates in my grip.

The newer RENAISSER Raphael 530 that you shared above isn’t available anymore. How do you highlight with it if it has a dual eraser button? It looks like an interesting alternative to the Kobo stylus 2.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-25-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:01 PM   #34
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
I caved and got the Stylus 2.

Contrary to some of the posters' experience, I did not have an issue with accidentally triggering the highlight button.

It is possible that this is related to how you grip the stylus as a pen, including its position.

Not requiring an external battery, it is much lighter than Stylus 1. I found this to be a surprisingly added comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Curious. I find the eraser end very handy when annotating books or writing in a notebook. With the Stylus 1, the higher second button is a tad uncomfortable for me to access.

Does anybody else use a Stylus 2 here? I’m wondering if you trigger the highlight button accidentally as I do. Another problem I have is that it’s so flush with the barrel, sometimes I have a hard time finding it without looking since the pen rotates in my grip.

The newer RENAISSER Raphael 530 that you shared above isn’t available anymore. How do you highlight with it if it has a dual eraser button? It looks like an interesting alternative to the Kobo stylus 2.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:00 PM   #35
SilentPartner
Out of order
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This.
This, is just an opinion, not the truth. User experience vary.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:30 PM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Contrary to some of the posters' experience, I did not have an issue with accidentally triggering the highlight button.

It is possible that this is related to how you grip the stylus as a pen, including its position.
No. It’s not a problem with my grip.

I’m getting an awful lot of armchair coaching in this thread. 🙄 I’ve even been reached out to privately about the comments in this thread by somebody concerned for me. Honestly, you guys need to back off. Stop blaming me for the mechanical issues I run into. Sometimes products are defective. It makes me regret responding to this thread to begin with.

My Stylus 2 button is extremely easy to press. It’s too sensitive. I have to be mindful of my grip in order to NOT brush against it because that will engage the highlight. Since I rotate the button away from where I place my index finger, finding the button when I need it requires me to look for it. I’ve never had this problem with the Stylus 1, meaning the buttons aren’t engaged accidentally, and therefore I can use them without looking.

Perhaps I shall reach out to Kobo about it and return it for a different one.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 12:05 AM   #37
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Hi, Cootey, my apology. My comment is NOT meant to "play armchair coaching" or to imply that you are the problem. I am simply sharing my own experience with this particular stylus. Does not mean that I am discounting your experience with it. In fact, I think your line of thinking about the sensitivity of the button is very sound, given that product quality control with Kobo product is a well-known issue.

Quote:
No. It’s not a problem with my grip.

I’m getting an awful lot of armchair coaching in this thread. �� I’ve even been reached out to privately about the comments in this thread by somebody concerned for me. Honestly, you guys need to back off. Stop blaming me for the mechanical issues I run into. Sometimes products are defective. It makes me regret responding to this thread to begin with.

My Stylus 2 button is extremely easy to press. It’s too sensitive. I have to be mindful of my grip in order to NOT brush against it because that will engage the highlight. Since I rotate the button away from where I place my index finger, finding the button when I need it requires me to look for it. I’ve never had this problem with the Stylus 1, meaning the buttons aren’t engaged accidentally, and therefore I can use them without looking.

Perhaps I shall reach out to Kobo about it and return it for a different one.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:26 AM   #38
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

Does anybody else use a Stylus 2 here? I’m wondering if you trigger the highlight button accidentally as I do. Another problem I have is that the button is so flush with the barrel, sometimes I have a hard time finding it without looking since the pen rotates in my grip.

I have the earlier 520C which does not have the eraser on the opposite end. I did not like having to flip the Stylus 2 back and forth, which led me to the Renaisser. Also, I found the response of the (button) eraser on the 520C to be quicker than the eraser on the Stylus 2. All my personal opinion, of course. Unfortunately, the Stylus 2 that shipped with my Elipsa 2E is useless anyway as its battery life is only 24 hours, whether used or not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote