Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-09-2023, 10:46 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A few Pocketbook questions

I just got InkPad Color 3 and have a few questions:
  1. Can the Web browser landing page be customized? It redirects to google.com. I'd like to change this (e.g. to point to calibre server).
  2. Is there a decent PocketBook Russian-English dictionary I can download? There is one in the PocketBook Store (if I can purchase it in US), but it says format is HTML (what does that even mean?). Otherwise I'll probably try to convert an existing one.
  3. Is there some peer to peer wireless way to transfer files (or app for same)? I'd like to transfer audiobooks without having to hook up a cable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
For FW 5.20 (i.e. not your case, but likely to apply with minor modifications) the answer is yes to all three. Off the head (if relevant I can look up the details later):
  1. the url is in some /mnt/ext1/system/config/ file
  2. there are some, I think I'm using the Korol'ev among others. At most you have to convert them from some format like stardict to .dic. Here is one source: http://www.libredict.org/en/
  3. after rooting easily with samba, but within KOReader should be possible as well (e.g. ftp). There may exist also some older utiliy (vlasovsoft suite?) allowing that too.

Last edited by EastEriq; 12-10-2023 at 08:58 AM.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
1) Yes, you can set the Browser to open to a specific page. I've set mine to my library's Overdrive page. (Browser Menu -> Settings -> Open on Startup)
2) I don't know how good it is, but if you go to the Dictionary App, tap the Dictionary icon (near top, right corner) and tap "Add new dictionaries", PockeBook provides a English to Russian dictionary. I assume it can be reversed, Russian to English(?).
3) I haven't tried it, but I assume you can use the built-in Dropbox app to do that. You also may be able to store audio books at the PocketBook Cloud. Unfortunately Send to PocketBook does not work for audio books (just tried it).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:54 PM   #4
HvdB
Enthusiast
HvdB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Is there some peer to peer wireless way to transfer files (or app for same)? I'd like to transfer audiobooks without having to hook up a cable.
I have the PB Touch HD3 and the Era. Audiobooks are often mp3 - zipfiles. I need to connect my e- reader with a PC/ laptop for that.
HvdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:00 PM   #5
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
I just got InkPad Color 3 and have a few questions:
  1. Can the Web browser landing page be customized? It redirects to google.com. I'd like to change this (e.g. to point to calibre server).
  2. Is there a decent PocketBook Russian-English dictionary I can download? There is one in the PocketBook Store (if I can purchase it in US), but it says format is HTML (what does that even mean?). Otherwise I'll probably try to convert an existing one.
  3. Is there some peer to peer wireless way to transfer files (or app for same)? I'd like to transfer audiobooks without having to hook up a cable.
1. YES Directly in web browser setings. Or:
Open file global.cfg in : Youreader/system/config/global.cfg and change line: browser_default_url=http://start.obreey.com to browser_default_url=calibre_IP:80

2. YES
Russian-English / http://libredict.org/en/

3. Transfer via USB is more suitable for audiobooks than wireless, which would take significantly longer.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 12-10-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Just curious how you would install these? I'm guessing there's more to it than changing the .dict extension to .dic.

BTW, thanks for the link.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just curious how you would install these? I'm guessing there's more to it than changing the .dict extension to .dic.

BTW, thanks for the link.
This is why I asked about existing dictionaries.

There is a Perl script that is supposed to help with this, but once you install the prerequisites (Stardict binaries and the Pocketbook dictionary convertor with configuration files), it's not clear you need it for anything.

The Pocketbook converter requires input in XDXF (dictionary exchange format), and only works on Windows.

I'm mostly a Mac user, and there are no notes on setting things up for macOS (only Linux and Windows).

I do have a new Windows system and am going to see if I can get conversion working with just StarDict binaries and a clone of GitHub repo with the PocketBook binary and configuration files for each language. I have copy of the Ru-En StarDict dictionary that KOReader will download, which seems pretty good.

Apart from Russian-English, PB comes with translation dictionaries that I would expect to use, so this is a one-off task for me.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:59 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

One more question: with the stock reading application (PB reader) is there a way to change default justification to 'left'?

I don't want to change the ePub source to hard code this.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:50 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I was able to convert a ru-en XDXF dictionary (one of those available for KOReader) to PocketBook dic format using converter.exe tool. I could not get the Perl script that takes one from stardict XML to DIC to work (some issue with setting up environment).

It's disappointing that the FAQs/tips have not been updated in quite awhile. Are they all still relevant?

Last edited by tomsem; 12-29-2023 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:51 PM   #10
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
One more question: with the stock reading application (PB reader) is there a way to change default justification to 'left'?

I don't want to change the ePub source to hard code this.
You can do it for FB2 files only, unfortunately. Another option is to install KOReader, but it won't work with the library ePubs with DRM.

Quote:
It's disappointing that the FAQs/tips have not been updated in quite awhile. Are they all still relevant?
I suggest contacting Pocketbook support, they're pretty responsive.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:50 PM   #11
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The Pocketbook converter requires input in XDXF (dictionary exchange format), and only works on Windows.
It definitely isn't ideal, but have you tried using WINE to run the converter.exe? WINE is supposed to even work on Apple Silicon Macs, though last time I tried it (with something else) it failed miserably.

As you say it is hopefully a one-time job, but until someone reverse engineers the Windows .exe I think that's the best you can do.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:32 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
It definitely isn't ideal, but have you tried using WINE to run the converter.exe? WINE is supposed to even work on Apple Silicon Macs, though last time I tried it (with something else) it failed miserably.

As you say it is hopefully a one-time job, but until someone reverse engineers the Windows .exe I think that's the best you can do.
I have a Windows system.

Eventually I downloaded a dictionary for KOReader which are in the required XML format for converter.exe to ingest, and voila, I have a good enough Russian-English dictionary for my Pocketbook with a simple one line command.

I could not get a Perl environment set up on the Windows system to use that conversion script (which is supposed to ingest Stardict XML format, Kindleunpack HTML). I was trying Windows subsystem for Linux, with Wine, but could not get the required additional perl library dependencies to install.

Once I realized the KOReader dictionaries were a better starting point for this little project I gave up trying to get the Perl script to run.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-09-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:34 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post

I suggest contacting Pocketbook support, they're pretty responsive.
Regarding FAQs/tips I was referring to the sticky threads here. They haven't been updated for years it seems.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:35 PM   #14
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Old thread resurrection - sorry! - but changes to global.cfg get reverted when the PB leaves "PC Link" mode.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:53 AM   #15
Piforce
Piforce began at the beginning.

Device: boox i62ml, pocketbook hd 3, remarkable 2
I sent pocketbook a question for a dictionairy they don't have. This was there answer search for the dictionairy then:

- download a dictionary in .dic format and then copy it to the system/dictionaries folder
- if the device is connected to the pc and you cannot find the system folder, it is hidden.

to get acces to this folder, follow the steps below

1) Open the root folder of internal memory of the device with the help of the File Manager and select the Service Tab in the upper part of the File Manager (if it is not visible by default, press ALT to call the Service Menu) – choose Folder Specifications.
2) In the pop-up window select the View Tab (the second tab in succession);
3) Find the "Hide protected system files and folders" option and deactivate it;
4) Find the “Show hidden files and folders" option and activate it. Confirm your choice with YES and APPLY.
Piforce is offline   Reply With Quote