Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2024, 10:46 AM   #1546
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
It has been a very, very long time since a tv show has made me angry!! And I mean really yelling at the screen and mocking the show for the stupidity of the scene, storyline and characters. But Star Trek Discovery certainly has me doing that.

First let me explain WHY I am forcing myself to watch it, though watching it is a bit loose a term, more like skipping through the episode and watching a 50min episode in about 10-15 minutes.

Why... because in a moment of weakness, and coerced by the sale, I purchased the first 4 seasons on bluray in a Buy 1 get 1 free sale, which coincided with a 20% discount on all Blurays sale. So they were fairly cheap, much cheaper than their usual $39.99 price. Hey, it's Star Trek, why not, I thought.

So here I am with these blurays that contain one of the most frustratingly stupid shows of the decade. This is Days of Our Lives masquerading as a Star Trek show.

This show is just emotional diarreah.

The positives...
  1. Great look and feel of the show. Beautiful CGI work.

The negatives...
  1. Mostly a cast of annoying characters/actors, and I hope to never see them in another show that I watch.
  2. Ship crews no longer need to meet any basic health and fitness requirements. Looking like an overstuffed pork sausage ready to burst? no problems, you are on the crew and quickly promoted for being an all round nice person.

Anybody else seen this poor excuse of a Star Trek show?
Hi:

Well, all I can say is it sounds as though you saved my butt...this is precisely the kind of stuff that I loathe. This whole trend, the past few years--all shows are designed for teens, practically pre-teens, and all their emo BS is enough to make you scream. I mean, this bit about how "someone lied to me!" (to wit, the Umbrella Academy, the October Faction (name?), with two over-entitled children running the entire household, with parents APOLOGIZING to them, for not having raised them to know (insert deep dark family secret here), as if babies or children or even young teens are able to process that sort of crap...this other stuff around the "lying" and the crap with "OMG, I have to STOP WORK and emote (Instagram, TikTok, whatev) to talk about how OMG, I have to work 40 whole minutes and I'm gonna die!"

I mean, WTF?? WTF?? Who does that? After all, pop culture is a reflection of real culture so...I won't watch this for "entertainment" because obviously, I don't find it entertaining at ALL. (Nor would I for 10 seconds put up with that in my office...oish.)

I am so pathetically grateful I have the crew that I have. Don't anybody tell them that I said that. I can only barely afford to pay them nearly what they are worth!!!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:33 PM   #1547
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quirky, confusing (in a good way) and quite well acted. Nothing earth-shattering by any means, but compared to some of the other drivel out there, I quite like it.
Do they ever explain how the ranch got Abbot's name? It was in his wife's family for 100 years, he didn't show up until 1968.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:41 PM   #1548
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Do they ever explain how the ranch got Abbot's name? It was in his wife's family for 100 years, he didn't show up until 1968.
From watching the 1st season, I vaguely remember the Abbott family adopted Royal so he already had the name. Marrying your adoptive sibling may strike some as a bit creepy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:30 AM   #1549
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
There's a lot of online discussion about that. We were never really told Royal's last name in 1886 (at least I don't think we were). I think it's entirely possible that Cecilia is a descendant of Royal's. Or that she's not an Abbott by birth either. Still very wibbley wobbley timey-wimey at the moment.

Spoiler:
Or she's from the future. I've never really reconciled what I saw in S1E2 (when Abbot fell in the hole and went to what appeared to be a near future where he'd died two years earlier) with the rest of the time-travel stuff.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-11-2024 at 08:51 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:28 AM   #1550
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've recently watched Sophie Rundle in The Diplomat and After the Flood-- both well done, I thought. And unlike many others here, I'm still enjoying Father Brown well enough after Season 11 (as well as S3 of its spinoff - Sister Boniface Mysteries) to keep watching. Must be the the soap fan in me, as I drew great enjoyment from S3 of Hope Street as well.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-11-2024 at 02:41 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote