Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2024, 07:20 PM   #16
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hm, what books are they? I would expect Kobo to preload public domain books that are free, because otherwise Kobo is losing money by giving you books that you didn't buy.

In your previous post, you said there were both previews and public domain books in the list. You can download previews for free, so perhaps you should just make a list of all the books that interest you and then delete everything that Kobo preloaded. You can get your own copies of public domain books from sites like Standard E-Books and Global Grey, and then you can limit your downloads to the books you actually want, thus eliminating the clutter.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:49 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's weird; I don't recall any books being preloaded on my Libra Colour. Back in the day, the very original Kobo did come with 100 pre-loaded books; this however was back in the day when content was actually stored in the database.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:52 PM   #18
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
There were no pre-loaded books on my Libra Colour.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:03 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The books will not have ADE encryption. If they have encryption, it will be Kobo's DRM which is easily enough removable. You could copy the kepub directory from inside the .kobo directory and rename the files inside the directory from guid lookalike to guid lookalike.epub and then try opening them to see which are encrypted.

As far as I recall, in an earlier thread, the books were in multiple languages and showed up when the ereader was set up in sideloaded mode.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-22-2024 at 08:12 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:43 PM   #20
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
DNSB, I think you just explained why I am seeing these books. I can't find this thread. Can you find it?

Here are two photos (update: deleted) showing just a small sample of these preloaded books:

As you see, there is even a Harry Potter book and a Spider-Man comic. I think DNSB is correct that somehow my sideload mode has triggered these books to appear. Why will this be the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I recall, in an earlier thread, the books were in multiple languages and showed up when the ereader was set up in sideloaded mode.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-23-2024 at 01:57 PM.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:56 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to check the Deleting preloaded books from Kobo thread starting from around message #46. You could start at message #30 where the thread was revived after 11 years but #46 is the one I would suggest starting with.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:45 PM   #22
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks, DNSB. I just read the thread.

In my case, there are 51 (not 52) such preview books.

Am I correct to understand that these are probably some "placeholder" books that were probably used to test the Kobo software during its early development and were simply left there over the years? During the normal course of the device setup (by signing onto a Kobo account), these books get cleared out so it is not an issue.

With sideloading, online activation gets bypassed so these "placeholder" books do not get cleared out as they ought to be. These books are not true previews but are actually phantom entries. As described in the other thread, tapping on a book under the Authors tab will prompt a message that there is actually no book attached to the book's author.

Am I correct that I am basically stuck as the only way to rid of these phantom entries is to delete them via editing the database as suggested by previous posters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to check the Deleting preloaded books from Kobo thread starting from around message #46. You could start at message #30 where the thread was revived after 11 years but #46 is the one I would suggest starting with.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-23-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:17 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-23-2024 at 05:19 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:02 AM   #24
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There were no pre-loaded books on my Libra Colour.

Same here. I wonder what the difference is? I also wondered why some of the early reviewers had the same books.

Curious to know if Kobo Libra Colour sold to Canadians have these books, but those sold to Americans do not.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:36 AM   #25
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just deleted them off my Libra Colour. They don't show but are still in my account.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:55 PM   #26
shyhermit
Connoisseur

Just want to give credit to JSWolf for your great suggestion.

I finally caved and installed Calibre, not to manage my ebooks but to solely rid of these problematic preloaded books. Indeed, as JSWolf rightly suggested, the special options in KoboTouchExtended are required in order to see these hidden books (otherwise they are invisible to Calibre). Once they are visible, they can be deleted.

Just another very strange side effect of bypassing the initial activation by enabling sideload mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the KoboTouchExtended driver, it's in the Metadata, on device & advanced tab. Under Show as on device you want to check Show archived books and Show previews.

That's my guess if settings need to be changed.