Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2024, 03:41 PM   #2806
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When others want to know the path to their eBooks in their calibre library when they should not know that and really have no need to know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'm not sure what's more frustrating: the "I put my library on an NAS/Dropbox/GDrive and now I'm having issues" posts, or the "how do I change my Calibre library structure?" posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And on top of that there is the "calibre has changed the filename".

They don't get that caliber's library is meant to be left alone.
But it's my library and I should have total control over the structure! When pointed to forking calibre as a fix to their issue, somehow, it dampens their enthusiasm.

Umm... to paraphrase one poster, it's calibre not caliber so people won't be able to find it when they search.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:55 AM   #2807
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Paradise View Post
Naaah, you can't just stop ANYWHERE! One has to always stop so that the page ends with a finished sentence. (Yeah, I know, each one his:her own madness, and it shows in the small things ...) ;-)
Aha! I'll keep that in mind the next time I read a novel that has only one sentence! (I assume you'll be serving coffee?)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-04-2024 at 04:38 PM. Reason: a to I
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 11:12 AM   #2808
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I usually go back half a page anyway so it hardly matters where I stop.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #2809
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
When you want to know the length of an ebook, and Amazon gives you a file size of 3019KB.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #2810
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I always use Kobo for that purpose, since the length is reported in words.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #2811
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I always use Kobo for that purpose, since the length is reported in words.
Thank you for that. Kobo also has number of pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #2812
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Many Kindle books have a "print length" in their description, which gives page count. Sometimes it's only down lower in the details, but it's usually there.

It's fairly meaningless, though, as the "Count Pages" add-in for Calibre gives me around 270 words/page on all the books I have purchased, but using the Amazon page count, the words/page varies from around 200 to 260
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #2813
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
It's fairly meaningless...
I don't know why everybody has to put page count under a microscope.
When I get a book I just want to know what I'm dealing with.
Under 100 "pages", a short read.
250 "pages" a normal book.
500 "pages" a big read.
1000 "pages" a brick.

In short, I'd like to know floor(2*ln(pages)/ln(2)-15.5) please.

Code:
 100 p -> -3
 150 p -> -2
 200 p -> -1
 250 p ->  0
 350 p ->  1
 500 p ->  2
 750 p ->  3
1000 p ->  4
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #2814
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Clara
There's nothing more accurate than the word count.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #2815
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Disagree. There’s “a” and there’s “antidisestablishmentarianism”. Yes, I kid, but the general point remains; word count is lower for more complex books of similar length.

My favorite standard is the ADE page count, consistent across books and which helps offset the word length issue. Granted, it doesn’t take into account indices etc. but neither does word count, and at least with ADE page count it’s easy enough to subtract that out.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #2816
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
No, you should use text-to-speech and get the running time.

I try to borrow a book for the minimal time.
I just have to know what I'm dealing with.
One site has 1, 4, 7, 14 day selections.
Most have 7, 14, 28 day selection.
With the latter, I hate to say 7 days and then realize the book is 1000 pages.

Last edited by Renate; Today at 10:54 AM.
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #2817
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My favorite standard is the ADE page count, consistent across books and which helps offset the word length issue.
If I'm not mistaken, the limitation of Adobe's synthetic page numbering system is that it counts bytes, rather than characters, so books with more complex formatting register as being longer than books with simpler formatting, even when they have the same number of printable characters.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 PM   #2818
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The page number alogrithm does not just count bytes, it counts compressed bytes for the 1024 byte page length and then uses unicode characters to distribute the page breaks.

Years back when I compare two ePub files, one with 200,000 words in English that averaged 5.7 characters per word and the other with 200,000 glyphs in Simplified Chinese, the end files sizes were fairly close and the page count was within 10%. Note that both of these were synthetic texts generated by a cousin to Lorem Ipsum tool so that may easily have affected the way that 7-Zip compressed the ePub file.

Quote:
Synthetic page names

When page map is not available in the document, Adobe Digital Editions will synthesize a page-map based on the document content. The approach used is the following:
  1. Determine a compressed byte length of each resource which is referenced in the spine, subtracting any known encryption overhead (IV size).
  2. Assume that there is a page for each 1024 bytes in each resource, rounding up to the nearest whole number of pages for each resource.
  3. To map page breaks into a resource, use the number of pages for the resource as determined in step 2, count the number of Unicode characters in the resource; distribute synthetic page breaks in the resource evenly between the characters by dividing the number of characters by the number of pages; if the number of characters don’t divide evenly among the pages, round the number of characters per page up and let the last “page” contain less characters than the rest.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote