Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #46
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.jackm8 knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Voja made a mistake in that video: he left the Boox device in speed mode, which degrades PQ in exchange for faster page turns. Here is his video with the correction:

When you're using the slow refresh mode on Boox, 227 and 300 PPI are pretty much identical. I think you'd be happy with the NA3, or at least as happy as you can be, since the device you want doesn't exist.
Actually, this latest comparison is severely flawed as well. He is focusing on the plastic screen and not on the eink displays in his macro shots. I'm certain it's not intentionally. He just put camera on auto focus, and it focused on the screen. He should set it to manual focus and focused by hand on the eink display below the screen. As it is, it gives very fuzzy look of the Scribe and the Note Air 3C reader. They have thick plastic screens that are designed for writing with pens. These screens do degrade quality, but not nearly as much as it appears on his close up samples. When shooting macro, focal plane is extremely narrow, in his case e-ink panels aren't even in focus. They're entirely out of focus.

I made this sample for another thread. It's not a perfect representation of what you end up seeing, as human eyes work differently, but it should give an idea on what he did wrong.

ps. Lighting plays a role in this as well. Angled lighting will exaggerate the harshness of the panels, smooth light, will make it less visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scribe macro.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	645.4 KB
ID:	208957  

Last edited by jackm8; Yesterday at 06:12 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote