Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Exclamation exFAT on Apple Sonoma

Don't change your ereader to use exFAT and take care with exFAT SD cards from phones, ereaders or tablets on Apple Sonoma!

Or USB sticks.

Edit fixed link

https://blocksandfiles.com/2024/05/2...-drive-access/

Last edited by Quoth; 05-27-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 01:06 PM   #2
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The link does not work. It leads to a 404 error page.

I am guessing this is the article, you want to talk about?
-> https://blocksandfiles.com/2024/05/2...-drive-access/

(It would have been better if you just explained, what you want to talk about here...)

I am not sure, how relevant this issue is for e-readers.
Most of them have not used (external) sd-cards for a long time. And even those that do often don't support exfat anyway, like Pocketbook for example.

Last edited by kyôdai; 05-27-2024 at 01:09 PM.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 01:14 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird the "smash" embedded in the link. I think I must have tried to add an emoticon.

It was just informational. I did wonder if anyone had issues also with FAT32.

The exFAT formatted SD Cards would be most common with a phone or tablet, often 128G to 1000G now.

This was in the middle of the URL
Old 05-28-2024, 07:31 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Only slightly off-topic...

If you are using a flash drive only to transfer files that you care about between two Windows computers, format it with NTFS.

The problem is that the FATs can only record modify times with a precision of two seconds. Ok, most of the time you don't care if the time is off, but it makes it hard to see if a file is the same on two computers. Since the original files on your Windows box are probably already in NTFS it makes the transfer more transparent using NTFS to transfer.

See: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...me-resolutions

Copying music to something and you're just going to play it? Use whatever.

Transfering 10 years of business records from an old PC to a new PC? Use NTFS.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 08:56 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Transfering 10 years of business records from an old PC to a new PC? Use NTFS.
For Windows. But check ownership before ejecting*.

Windows to Linux: NTFS
Apple to Apple: HPFS or other supported native FS.
Windows to Apple: Get the addon NTFS support
Linux to Apple: Use NTFS and get the addon NTFS support.
Linux to Windows: Use NTFS. Long ago I did have ext2 support on XP.
Linux to Linux: ext4, unless really ancient and then ext2.

FAT32: When you don't know what it's for or it's for DOS, Win3.x, Win9x or Win ME. No file more than 4.3G, though 2G is safer.
Note some versions DOS can't do FAT32. Early win95 and earlier had no USB. SD cards or USB sticks on DOS isn't impossible and even Win98/ME may need extra drivers. The Win2000 USB storage drivers do sort of work when copied to Win98.

exFAT: Larger SD cards / USB sticks when you know it works on destination. Cameras, Android etc.

Apple earlier OSX, OS9 and earlier are "fun" for non-Apple formats.

A motherboard or plug-in card floppy controller can read different disk formats on DOS, Windows (inc NT), Linux, but not Apple II floppies, Sirius1/Victor9000 or Amiga Floppies. The 3", 3.5", 5.25" and 8" only need different cables. A USB 3.5" floppy drive usually only can read FAT12, i.e. standard MS DOS 2.11 and later disks.

Switch on Case Sensitive if using Windows Shares with non-Windows. Apple, UNIX, Linux and some Windows NT (depending on user settings for NT 3.1 to Win11) can have more than one file with the same letters, but different case as they are case sensitive. This can apply to a Website downloaded!

EDIT
[* Older Windows NT can't eject NTFS formatted "drives" from desktop or Explorer, but sometimes from Diskmanager (Hint removing drive letter). Otherwise you have to shut down to remove it. We discovered this on NT 4.0 using Sony 128M MO cartridges, which only eject via OS, though eject button worked at start of boot].

Non NT Windows never supported NTFS: Win 1.x, Win2.x, Win 286, Win 386, Win 3.x, WFWG3.x, Win4.x (Chinese only?) Windows for Pen Computing** 3.x, Win9x, Win ME, most versions Win CE (a later embedded Windows was NT based). Nor even MS version of OS/2 with MS LAN Manager (1989) as it ceased before 1993 NT 3.1 release. There are two major versions of NTFS and NT3.x can't read later version at all. The NT4.0 needs an update, maybe also Win2K.

There was also a win95 version of Pen computing, which I've never seen, not even media. I do have the install CDs for XP Tablet Edition***, which apart from WinCE/Zune etc was MS's third attempt at Pen/Tablet computing. The Surface 1 is 4th and Surface 3 & later is 5th attempt, if we ignore Windows 8 for phone and destop (equal stupidity to Ubuntu Unity which died in 2016). Apple iOS was originally a mix of bought in Fingerworks and cut down OS X (OS 10). The OSX (2002?) was a complete break with OS9 and earlier (those had no security and poor multitasking, but better than Win3.x/Win9x) based on NextStep based on BSD UNIX.

*** We have a Lenovo X201T, which has Wacom, touch screen swivels to cover keyboard and it had Win7, which is really SP for Vista. It seems much of XP Tablet edition was optional in Win7. It works far better with Linux Mint (even the touch screen and Wacom). It's the only HW I've ever seen that might make use of XP Tablet edition. I expect the Wacom would work as internally in Linux it looks like a 1990s Wacom serial tablet. I also know how to slipstream a clone of an XP install CD so as to have SATA drivers. I can't imagine bothering, despite that XP on my 2002 laptop (last reinstalled June 2002) is still a better experience than Win10 current revision on a i7 Lenovo with GPU and 16G RAM.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-28-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:35 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
TLDR!

Nah, I'm out the door, I'll read it when I get back.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote