Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2024, 02:43 AM   #1
toje00
toje00 began at the beginning.

Device: win8
Calibre on drive

Hi

So i am a bit techno challenged. But I have been trying to figure out is their a way to be able to use Calibre on the go.

I know you can add it to like a shared server and you can download from. Problem you need it to be connected to the internet but travelling and living alone at home i dont have that option.

I know you can read read the book you want you could just upload book to drive and use them that way but i wanted something that where i had the option to see the book with the data and choose that way.

Almost like a catalogue do i have an option to be ale to combine the 2 together in some way??
toje00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:14 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you want to see the calibre metadata while out and about, your best option is probably to create a calibre catalog and save it on your phone or some other device you carry with you. You can find the catalog option by right-clicking the Convert button.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An ereader with 32 GBytes can store at least 14,000 ebooks.
My tablet (TCL Nxtpaper11) has 128G internal + 256G SD card (can take 1T) and with an OTG adaptor (€6) and a cheap hub (€5) with a USB stick can also see a Kobo or Kindle in file manager and copy files to it. Though that doesn't run Calibre. It cost less than a Kobo Sage.
So you don't need Calibre access on the go.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you want to see the calibre metadata while out and about, your best option is probably to create a calibre catalog and save it on your phone or some other device you carry with you. You can find the catalog option by right-clicking the Convert button.
Yes.
My cheap Oppo dual SIM phone (1/2 price of an ereader) also can do OTG and can take a 1T sd card. Maybe I have a 256 G card in it. I've not tried copying to my Kobo ereader from it, but my Android 4.1.x Sony Ericsson could copy to a Kindle.
I use Lithium and Pocketbook for epub, except on older Android, and Pocketbook, Xodo and Nebo for PDFs on tablet.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:09 PM   #5
toje00

Thank you all for the replies.
The catalogue seems a good option need to play around with it.
As for an ereader had one didn't like the use of it use my phone with moonreader app or read era app for on the go but because i read manga as well it takes up a lot more room then just books so i wanted something that i could add and remove as wanted or depending on my mood
Old 05-12-2024, 06:41 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toje00 View Post
Thank you all for the replies.
The catalogue seems a good option need to play around with it.
As for an ereader had one didn't like the use of it use my phone with moonreader app or read era app for on the go but because i read manga as well it takes up a lot more room then just books so i wanted something that i could add and remove as wanted or depending on my mood
The problem you have a Android have a number of really poor apps for reading eBooks and you've chosen two of them. Moon+ and ReadEra are both rather poor for reading eBooks.

One thing you can do is load the eBooks on a cloud service and pull the eBooks you want on say Dropbox and then download them as you want to your phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:41 AM   #7
toje00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem you have a Android have a number of really poor apps for reading eBooks and you've chosen two of them. Moon+ and ReadEra are both rather poor for reading eBooks.

One thing you can do is load the eBooks on a cloud service and pull the eBooks you want on say Dropbox and then download them as you want to your phone.
Yeah that's why i wanted to ask if i could just load the whole calibre to one drive or google drive to use like catalogue and download as wanted like you could when it is used like in connect share. But was told just create a catalogue then have the book uploaded on cloud. Which works

As for reader app

What kind of reader app would you suggest i look at i need something that could look at manga as well as pdf and epub.

Heck i even have trouble on my pc i just use the calibre built in epub reader which work but when it come to manga and pdf calibre does not function and i end up using foxit

I am still trying to find something that i like but have not come across anything yet so this are my best options at this time but open to suggestions
Old 05-13-2024, 08:07 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toje00 View Post
Yeah that's why i wanted to ask if i could just load the whole calibre to one drive or google drive to use like catalogue and download as wanted like you could when it is used like in connect share. But was told just create a catalogue then have the book uploaded on cloud. Which works

As for reader app

What kind of reader app would you suggest i look at i need something that could look at manga as well as pdf and epub.

Heck i even have trouble on my pc i just use the calibre built in epub reader which work but when it come to manga and pdf calibre does not function and i end up using foxit

I am still trying to find something that i like but have not come across anything yet so this are my best options at this time but open to suggestions
You cannot use Google Drive as that will corrupt the library. If you do load your library to OneDrive. you have to make a copy of your library to your OneDrive directory. You do not want the OneDrive software to touch your working library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:39 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Android Apps
Pocketbook does epub and PDF well.
Xodo does PDF & images OK

Lithium is also good for epub.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:06 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot use Google Drive as that will corrupt the library. If you do load your library to OneDrive. you have to make a copy of your library to your OneDrive directory. You do not want the OneDrive software to touch your working library.
Minor correction: You can't use your copy of your library in Google Drive as a live library accessed by calibre. You can store a backup copy of your library in Google Drive accessing it by a reader device. I did that with my Kobo ereader when testing it's Google Drive integration.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:24 AM   #11
toje00

Thank you so much for all the info guys will try out all your suggestion and come up with a compromise that works well for me