Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 10:05 AM   #3046
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can so many people be murdered in such a small town/village/area? And how can one person come across so many murders (aka Jessica Fletcher, Miss Marple, Father Brown)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder%2C_She_Wrote

Quote:
Murder occurred with such regularity in her vicinity that the term "Cabot Cove syndrome" was coined to describe the constant appearance of dead bodies in remote locations. Indeed, if Cabot Cove existed in real life, it would top the FBI's national crime statistics in numerous categories, with some analysis suggesting that the homicide rate in Cabot Cove exceeds even that of the real-life murder capital of the world.[13]
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #3047
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
How can so many people be murdered in such a small town/village/area? And how can one person come across so many murders (aka Jessica Fletcher, Miss Marple, Father Brown)?
This is a television vent and rant, not a reading vent and rant. Jessica Fletcher was a creature of television. As for the fictional characters, not only did Father Brown got around a lot, he solved an average of about two crimes per year, not all of them murders, over the course of Chesterton’s oeuvre. Miss Marple’s murder rate was even lower, at about 1½ per year, but then she stuck closer to St. Mary Meade.

The television Father Brown has nothing in common with the original, other than name, vocation, saturno and umbrella. I’ve not seen Miss Marple on tv.

Last edited by issybird; Today at 11:23 AM. Reason: They weren’t all murders!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #3048
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This is a television vent and rant, not a reading vent and rant.
One of the common cliches of cozies is taking place in a small town, so it's a valid point. I wonder if there's any cozies that take place in large cities (and not just 'a small community inside a larger one').

EDIT: A precursory search brought up this: https://crimereads.com/cozy-mysterie...in-big-cities/

Last edited by ownedbycats; Today at 10:39 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #3049
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
One of the common cliches of cozies is taking place in a small town, so it's a valid point.
It could have been a valid point, except that none of the three examples applied. That kind of argument tends to disprove the point, if that’s the best you can do. I think the OP watches too much tv, myself.
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #3050
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
This is a television vent and rant, not a reading vent and rant. Jessica Fletcher was a creature of television. As for the fictional characters, not only did Father Brown got around a lot, he solved an average of about two crimes per year, not all of them murders, over the course of Chesterton’s oeuvre. Miss Marple’s murder rate was even lower, at about 1½ per year, but then she stuck closer to St. Mary Meade.

The television Father Brown has nothing in common with the original, other than name, vocation, saturno and umbrella. I’ve not seen Miss Marple on tv.
There are books for both Jessica Fletcher and Father Brown. Most cozy mystery series take place in a small town where the murders happen frequently.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #3051
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It could have been a valid point, except that none of the three examples applied. That kind of argument tends to disprove the point, if that’s the best you can do. I think the OP watches too much tv, myself.
What about Miss Marple? She's books and the TV/Film are from the books.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #3052
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I do watch a lot of mysteries that come form book series.
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #3053
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
There are books for both Jessica Fletcher and Father Brown. Most cozy mystery series take place in a small town where the murders happen frequently.
You are ignoring the main point that in the books there were about two crimes solved per year, not all of which were murders.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #3054
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
The Fletcher books are based on a television character. And reread my post; Father Brown wasn’t limited to a small town. Far from it. He wasn’t even limited to England or Europe. I have read all the Chesterton short stories; have you? Again, the tv Father Brown is just a borrowed name and a few characteristics.

Quote:
What about Miss Marple? She's books and the TV/Film are from the books.
And again, I have no knowledge of the tv Miss Marple, but this is a reading thread and the print Miss Marple wasn’t inundated with murders in St. Mary Meade, which was your original point.

Quote:
I do watch a lot of mysteries that come form book series.
As I said, a television rant, not a reading rant.
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #3055
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Fletcher books are based on a television character. And reread my post; Father Brown wasn’t limited to a small town. Far from it. He wasn’t even limited to England or Europe. I have read all the Chesterton short stories; have you? Again, the tv Father Brown is just a borrowed name and a few characteristics.

And again, I have no knowledge of the tv Miss Marple, but this is a reading thread and the print Miss Marple wasn’t inundated with murders in St. Mary Meade, which was your original point.

As I said, a television rant, not a reading rant.
I did mention one person coming across so many murders and Miss Marple is a perfect example of that. When she goes away from home, she finds a murder even if it's not near her home.