View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Andrew Heath's four step outline

I've been reading over notes I took on Andrew Heath's video on writing a story in an hour and I think he boiled things down to basics not only for writing a short story but for the novel as well. I mean he breaks the process down into four parts:

Infancy- where you decide who your main character is.

Childhood- where you introduce the problem (and likely the character who will cause it).

Adolescence- Where you describe the main character's reaction to the problem, and

Adulthood- Where you show what the outcome of the story will be.

It occurred to me as I reviewed the notes I took that if you consider the 2nd-4th parts as a cycle and have several such problem/reaction/resolution cycles in mind (with the worst problem being at the last) that you could easily put together the structure of a longer work. Yesterday afternoon I laid out three potential short story/novel ideas using it. Just one four step list per idea at this point but isn't that how many books are written? By coming up with a basic character + problem + reaction + resolution chain and then filling in the spaces between til you have a detailed outline.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote