View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 03:19 AM   #119
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Too bad that the argument for physical paper books was butchered in such a fashion. I think there's much to be said for reading paper books, especially concerning memory (I remember reading some studies proving that people remembered/recalled information read on paper much better than on screens (not e-ink, so could be irrelevant for e-readers)).

I would prefer reading only paper books, but the constraints of real life have me doing pretty much the opposite. There are some significant advantages to ebooks that are hard to ignore.

1. They are free! (Most of my reading is PD and the rest I can get from the library. I refuse to buy ebooks. They are too expensive for me; and I would never buy anything with DRM.)
2. I can carry my whole library in my pocket and switch books whenever I feel like it. (I have a Hisense A5 Pro that I use as my main phone, audio player, book reader, etc.)
3. Foreign language reading. (This is probably the main reason. I read in several languages and the physical books I want are simply not available.)
4. Dictionary. (Definitely helps when reading in other languages. Tap a word, get a definition instantly. I don't mind browsing a dictionary manually, but not having to lug a 2kg dictionary with me for every book I read is a huge plus.)

Many of the PDFs I read would also be nicer on an e-ink screen, if I just had one big enough.

The paper books I read are such that I find at second hand stores. Only titles that are in good condition with fonts and design I like. And I make sure not to buy too many since I move a lot and don't want to carry too many books with me.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote