View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #68
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So many of the themes do tend to be at least genre-friendly, if not genre-specific. And people who are fans of certain type of books try to shoehorn their preferred genres into every theme--at least I do.
And that's what makes a horse race. You can handicap (I certainly do an internal one every month ), but the winner can be a surprise at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I specifically changed away from non-fiction when I saw the others coming up because I like to see some variety in the nominations. This is, I think, another feature of the theme system: everything month we get a good variety of books to investigate and that's really what I come here for.
I figure it's a process with two ends: choosing a selection and providing discovery. It's the rare month that doesn't bring to my attention at least one book of interest I hadn't known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I expected this month's theme to generate a ton of SF and fantasy and I'm surprised it didn't.
I can theorize a few reasons for that and one is that I think (and this is in line with gmw's comment) people like to go for the less obvious. Another might be that while we've had SF selections (Ishiguro and Le Guin come to mind), they've tended to be more mainstream or at least cross-genre.

For whatever reason, I think in the 16 months to date, we've had a good mix in terms of genre, whatever you might think of individual selections!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote