View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #39
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think he kept changing as he went along. For example, the Cardinal starts off being painted as a villain, but in the end he is painted for the most part as a good guy after all, and rather relieved to have had Milady dealt with - as if he couldn't have dealt with her himself if he wanted to. Mind you, there was the reference to Constance's husband being "disappeared" when he made a bit of a nuisance of himself. I suppose nobody cared about him, so that didn't matter.

I assumed that Constance was done in by Milady because (despite other liaisons) D'Artagnan claimed she was his one true love, she was a married woman, and so that would have been too sinful to contemplate as a permanent relationship. Though why that would matter given that everyone else seemed to have one or more mistresses apart from Athos ...

I don't think a high moral tone was Dumas' aim somehow!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote