View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Thanks for your feedback Johnny!

Quote:
1) It seems to me that similarly to opening just downloaded publication in a new tab, the "Library" button should open library page in a new tab. It happens quite often that I want to open Library page but do not want to close currently opened publication.
Okay, I put it on the change list.

Quote:
2) Bookmarking is a great feature, but the problem is that before closing publication I do quite often forget to bookmark the last page I read. I would be great it before closing publication a dialog would be displayed asking "Would you like to bookmark currently opened page?"
Okay, I see. In my opinion it could be pretty annoying if you are asked every time if you want to set a bookmark when you close an epub. I put it on the change list in the new "ideas" section. I'll think about it, perhaps I'll have an idea how to implement this in a not annoying way .

Quote:
3) If you would allow me to display some pedantry - I'm not very happy with current placement and behavior of the buttons.

First, it seems to me that buttons should display tooltips.
Okay, I put this on the change list.

Quote:
Second, some of the buttons are of more "systematic" nature (Preferences, Link to FAQ, Library and Download buttons), while others pertain to the reading of currently opened publication (Bookmark, Previous/Next, Increase/ Decrease font buttons). It seems that correct place for all those buttons of more "systematic" nature is the left pane, while in the content pane should be displayed only buttons directly relevant to the reading process of currently opened publication.
The logic is the following: I've placed the buttons which don't belong to an opened epub, on the left side. One exception: the library button. The reason why I did this is, that the left frame can be closed, so the library wouldn't be accessible directly. And in my opinion direct access is important.

Quote:
Third, I like Google Chrome browser's approach to space - to allocate as much space as possible to content and minimize chrome as much as possible. It seems that other browsers are taking this approach to space also. From this point of view it seems to me that the bottom bar in content pane is unnecessary and takes precious space which can be used for displaying publication. Of course, bottom bar contains much used buttons, but instead of Bookmark, Previos/Next, Increase/ Decrease font buttons keybindings can be used or functionality of some of these buttons can be placed in browsers toolbar (Bookmark and Increase/decrease font). It seems to me that it would be great if in Preferences dialog it were an option enabling to hide/display bottom bar of the content pane.
I understand your point but I think, if you have a 25 inch display, 35 pixel for the navigationbar shouldn't be a problem . If you have a smaller display, you can hide Firefox itself completely (F11), so you have much more space for reading. So for the moment I won't change this, but I've put accessibility of buttons via keys on the change list because I think that this is handy in general.

Quote:
Thanks again and happy New Year for you and your family!
Thanks, the same for you!
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote