View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #69
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
What are the elements do you think would appeal to women SF readers? And how are they different from men (if any)?
Here's another woman who loves science fiction, and with a preference for hard SF at that. I suppose that a general statement could be thus: sci-fi that appeals to me, as a woman, is sci-fi which doesn't contain female characters who make me roll my eyes or, worse, huff in disgust and delete the sample. (I've got a number of other filters that are probably unrelated to gender, but that could be considered a rough starting point.)

There are exceptions to the eye-roll test, if the rest of the book is appealing enough. A recent example would be Poul Anderson's Tau Zero. I'd not bothered to look at the publication date before starting to read, but after a chapter or two I couldn't help but check. I wasn't surprised to see that it was 1970.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote