View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
I was wondering when the Smashwords-bashing would begin. My preference would be for Smashwords to accept HTML files, since that's what I start with (my DOC file is actually a conversion of an HTML file), but I have to work with the circumstances I'm given.

My previous files - including a file without any table of contents - have gone through Meatgrinder without any problems, which is why it's important to me to identify the exact nature of the problem here.

Let me try to be more specific in my questions:

What does "element 'navMap' incomplete; missing required element 'navPoint'" mean?

What does "assertion failed: first playOrder value is not 1" mean?
Below is part of the toc.ncx file from an ebook I'm working on

<navPoint id="navpoint-1" playOrder="1">
<navLabel><text>Cover page</text></navLabel>
<content src="Frontmatter.html#coverpage"/>
</navPoint>

You see the last line? The error message tells you that </navPoint> is missing. The error message does not tell you why it's missing; that's up to you to find out, and I think that will be very difficult without at least some knowledge of HTML and of the ePub standards. Have you read Harrison Ainsworth's book? It's very helpful, but again you'll need some HTML knowledge.

You see the first line? The first navPoint MUST have "1" in both places in that line, and the navPoints MUST be consecutive 1, 2, 3, etc. That's part of the standards. Again, the error message does not tell you why whatever number is there is not "1", that's for you and Smashwords to find out.

I really and truly am not trying to put you down, but it seems to me that what I think you are asking (to be able to produce valid ePub ebooks with no knowledge of HTML) is simply not realistic.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote