View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman70 View Post
Anyone else seeing 'accuracy issues' with NovelRank? Even their footnote says something about the possibility of the numbers being "understated". For example, for March it tells me I sold 345 sales, yet my publisher pulled the data for amazon sales and quoted me 675. That's more than a little understatement. Just don't know if that's of any use. (Of course I like the publisher's numbers, and since that's what I'm being paid on...) I'm just concerned because if I go with a self-published title in the future I'm not sure how accurate any of the tracking will be. But hopefully other tools will be available in that case...
Amazon doesn't make their sales figures public. What Novelrank and similar sites do is log in to the ranking and try to deduce whether a sale has taken place. This is educated guesswork. In my case they seem to miss about 15 to 20 % of my sales. If you have several sales in the same hour they probably will miss all of them but one.
Also, they only start tracking a book when someone puts it on their list. Sales in the same month prior to that are not included.

For your own records Amazon itself gives you exact figures. Novelrank is interesting to see how you are doing compared to others in your niche, IMHO.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote