View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are the two of you possibly talking at cross purposes?

Hitch, you seem to be talking about ligatures actually being present as special chars in the underlying HTML files.

Whereas I think Psymon may be talking about using CSS to tell the epub rendering app to combine ordinary chars into ligatures wherever possible - except when specifically asked not to.

<snippage>
Yes, we are. I didn't realize--and in hindsight, I should have--that he was relying on the rendering software to "do it for him." See, we subset every book we do, thus, if ligs are not specifically called, through the use of the HTML characters, then they are removed via subsetting. Thus, if we had some sort of brain-damage, and turned ligs on, the file would be a mess, because the characters would be missing. (Having been removed, for being subset).

I'm exceedingly reluctant to rely on reading systems to render that sort of thing for me. Hell, we've all seen bizarro-world hyphenation, which one would think would be fairly well established by now; relying on reading systems/software to render ligatures sort of makes my blood run cold.

And, then, you get the problem that Psymon is running into--you can't control it very well, either.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote