View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well...if you don't use them, they're not turned "on." (Other than Amazon's LITB via ET, that is). Ligs are special characters, so you have to overtly use them. No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Well, that's what I find a bit odd, too. I had to add in that code in order to get my ligs to work (and I need -- or want -- them to work pretty much everywhere except for just one spot), but since I've turned them "on" everywhere now I don't know how to turn them "off" where I might want to. <snip> Couldn't think of another kludgy way to do it???
Are the two of you possibly talking at cross purposes?

Hitch, you seem to be talking about ligatures actually being present as special chars in the underlying HTML files.

Whereas I think Psymon may be talking about using CSS to tell the epub rendering app to combine ordinary chars into ligatures wherever possible - except when specifically asked not to.

My only experience is with epubs on Sony, Kobo, Android and kepub on Kobo.

For epub on any ADE-based epub rendering app then, for example, the standard 2-char 'fi' in the HTML will always be rendered in the app as the 1-char ligature 'fi' as long as the font being used actually contains that ligature. I don't know of anyway to stop that happening.

Kepubs on eink Kobos, however, are slightly different as they do not use the ADE epub renderer. They use a webkit-based renderer and behave pretty much like epub3. You can turn ligatures on/off in kepubs (default is off).

To turn ligatures (& kerning) on you can use CSS
Code:
text-rendering: optimizeLegibility;
To turn ligatures (& kerning) off you can use CSS
Code:
text-rendering: optimizeSpeed;
However, I don't know how many epub reading apps will take any notice of the CSS attribute 'text-rendering'.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote