View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #16439
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I finished The Great Gatsby a couple of days ago. It was assigned reading years ago, and at the time I also lacked the reading sophistication to understand it. For example: early on in the book the author mentions an optician's yard-high glasses. I didn't grasp then that it was an oblique method of describing a prominent billboard. It also didn't further my understanding of the novel that I was surreptitiously reading Dick Francis mysteries in class.

Second time around (or should I say first?) I can see why this novel is called a classic. Its plot is somewhat predictable but it has many pleasing turns of phrase and a lingering elegiac tone.

I've just started Susanna Kearsley's Rose Garden.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote