View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
In terms of a cell phone, I think that good sales is not proof but is strong evidence of a good product, a product that really works well, when there are so many products out there they can have for free with just signing up for a plan.

People are not stupid these days - the internet informs them of flaws and they will test them at the apple store before purchasing. Users have to pay quite a bit more for an iphone than most phones and also $60 a month to use the iphone on an ongoing basis so they are probably only going to do so if they really like it.

Apple sits on a huge pedestal and people love throwing rocks at it whenever they can. This was not a bad product like the Cube and some others. Sales seems to be growing. Everybody I know (in OC area) either owns one or wants one.

But in any case, the 4M in sales will make the product a better product in that apple will focus more time and energy on it, making more updates and improvements. More applications will be released. It has a really, really bright and promising future thanks to its success so far and that it worth taking into consideration.
People will buy what's popular. Period. Sales prove only that you have a popular product or a popular name brand.

You're actually proving my point nicely.

Quote:
Users have to pay quite a bit more for an iphone than most phones and also $60 a month to use the iphone on an ongoing basis so they are probably only going to do so if they really like it.
Maybe they really like the status they've purchased? Because it sounds pretty stupid to me to spend a lot of money on something you can get for free.

Quote:
Everybody I know (in OC area) either owns one or wants one.
You mean because it's popular?

People lined up to buy iphones when they first went on sale. Why do you suppose they did that? Because their friend had one and they were familiar with the quality of the product? Or maybe because it's from Apple, and because they had an excellent ad campaign beforehand which was intended to get the exact response it got? At that point nobody had been able to see it or use it, their only exposure to it was propaganda.

Sales won't make a company improve the product. In fact, it might make them complacent. A company will improve a product or not, sales isn't the determining factor.

Buying in hopes that promises of future developments will be realized seems rather naive too. I'd much rather buy something that has the features I want now.

I am not throwing rocks at Apple, I specifically said I don't know anything about either phone. I'm telling you that your reasoning that "because it's sold so many makes it a good thing" is flawed. Being popular doesn't mean a product is bad, but it also doesn't mean a product is good. You can think about it and learn something or remain one of the blind sheep following the popularity pack. It's your money, not mine.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote