View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #30
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I read in many different types of lighting here. I guess the sun just doesn't bless this place's e-ink screens beyond making them look like poor newsprint with pixelation and painful antialiasing and a little gloss. Could be the atmospheric haze too, or the heat, but I've never seen an e-ink screen that even approaches an average quality paperback under any reading conditions.
I really have to respond to this. Not to change LDBoblo's mind (I'm not feeding a troll here!), but to clarify facts for others who may read these comments and actually believe them. There is NO 'pixellation' or antialiasing on either e-ink device I own (the Sony 300 and 505). NONE. I'm a scientist and computer/technology aficionado, and I know what these terms mean. I also have both my 300 and 505 in front of me now, and have been staring at them up close and under a magnifying glass. And comparing them to a few older paperbacks. The detailed outlines of the edges of each individual letter on the e-ink screens are smooth and sharp when seen up-close. Each letter is well-formed with no 'gloss' on the screen, unless you happen to angle a light at a particular angle, which is easy to avoid. Curiously, the paperback print quality seems a little fuzzier overall than the e-ink, because--even though the letters appear sharp--the paper texture leads to a 'softer' image of the letters.

I don't know what your agenda is with respect to e-ink displays (do you even own such a device? ), but your comments are uniformly derogatory and off-base. ("Old soggy newsprint"? Puh-leeze. I'm sure I've read more paper books in my day than you ever will, and my eyes and mind are still open enough to see what is actually in front of me.) I will stand by my own direct and detailed observation that there is NO antialiasing nor pixellation of the characters on these e-ink displays in front of me. Maybe we simply have a Luddite in our midst. But, your comments on the e-ink display characteristics are objectively WRONG.

Last edited by DrMoze; 08-27-2009 at 06:55 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote