Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
From their Google Analytics for Ebooks page:

Quote:
Know your reader!

Reader Analytics by Jellybooks is launching in spring 2015.

This is a new service that allows authors, agents and publishers to conduct virtual focus groups that work as follows:

Selected readers receive a complimentary ebook (ARC) prior to publication date for reading on a third party app or device of their choice (for example iBooks by Apple). While reading the ebook, Jellybooks collects reading data for each individual reader based on unique tracking software embedded inside the ebook. The collected data is stored inside the ebook and the user can be reading online or offline. In return for receiving the free ebook, readers are prompted to upload the data with a single click form inside the ebook. Jellybooks then distribute the results as online data graphs and figures to authors and publishers.
It seems like all the tin foil hat wearers have come out on this one. Realistically, I seriously doubt this can work that well over multiple devices. We have Android, iOS, Chrome, Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and some proprietary OS devices on which people can read eBooks. Do you really think a single JS can figure out how to phone home from all those devices. I think this is more hype, more look at we can do, than reality. And even if they can do it, companies have been watching us watch TV and do other things for decades. Nothing to get too paranoid about. There have been website trackers for nearly as long as the internet has been around. I would be more concerned about your insurance company collecting data about you than this piddly poop stuff.