View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Can you use a stylus, or will the touch screen only react to your finger?
You can use a capacitive stylus which has a special tip that simulates a finger such as pogostick.
Quote:
Can you "open it up" to the Android Marketplace, and also how is the Amazon Marketplace in comparison?
No, this hardware does not meet Google requirements. A custom rom would be required to get Android Marketplace. Amazon marketplace is not as good as the google one. There are other marketplaces that you will likely be able to use. The wiki has a discussion on marketplaces on the Android page
Quote:
If you "open it up", can you install other mobile reader software so you can read books not in mobi format?
Non DRM mobi files should be ok out of the box. There is no DRM capable Mobi reader available for any Android.

Quote:
How fast is it in general?
Faster than a speeding bullet

Quote:
How good is it for things other than reading?
It is designed to be good for video and music as well as reading.

Quote:
How good are the dictionaries, and is it possible to somehow install other dictionaries if need be that will work with reader software? Also, if you can "open up" Fire, will other reader software be able to be used easily with dictionaries?
likely the same as Kindle, Other readers or applications will not be able to use Amazon Kindle dictionaries. There may be other Android dictionaries that can be used.
Quote:
Similarly, how about annotation capabilities and can those be used on other reader software if "opened up"?
Same answer as for dictionaries.

Quote:
How good is the screen?
The same as an Apple iPad with better resolution.
Quote:
I've never had a tablet. Really, how easy is it to use an on-screen keyboard? Is it actually feasible to place your fingers as on an actual keyboard and type fast?
A 7" screen is too small for easy typing. You will be able to finger the keyboard for touch typing will be difficult to impossible.

Quote:
Thanks for any help; since I had such varied questions I thought it best just to put them all together for help.

ETA - Oops, I think this needs to be in the Fire sub-forum; thanks for the move!
Wait till it comes out and see how good I was.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote