View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 07:38 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killray View Post
Bought a kobo hoping to sideload it, it wants me to set up an account with kobo desktop. Desktop will not work with linux debian which I run and besides of which I find the whole thing a privacy violation since invariably the device will be phoning home.

Can I run a Kobo touch without running their desktop app first?
I use Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu/Debian. My workaround for this issue on an old Kobo Mini was to download the newer Kobo firmware to my computer, then run the Kobo setup program. When it gave me the option to use the Desktop software, I said "yes." That gave the computer access to the Mini, then I just copied the update file to the Mini and rebooted.

I tried using the Kobo Desktop Application (in Windows) for updating but that didn't work. It was never able to finish registering — so Windows wouldn't be any help here either.

That said, I was trying to register the Kobo Mini, not trying to avoid registering it — so this may not be the result you want.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote