View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I started way back with PDAs which were limited by display size (but color). Moved to E Ink for bigger display size for a few years but got sick of the poor display technology and moved to the tablets that had come along in the meantime.

Regarding readability of text size one can read considerably smaller text on LCD and OLED displays compared to E Ink because of their very much higher contrast ratios. Typically a LCD phone or tablet display will have a contrast ratio around 100 to 200 times that of E Ink displays and the contrast ratio of AMOLED, for example, is effectively infinite. Contrast ratio is similar to dynamic range, so the ability to differentiate, for example, black against a white background. This is one reason why, for example, E Ink is poor at grey scale too and, as can be seen from many posts in these forums, also why people find fonts in ebooks often not dense or distinctive enough (that is a problem I have observed with E Ink but have never found it so with LCD or AMOLED).

Personally, for reading, I see a very noticeable increase in readability of text for LCD over E Ink, but not so much as between LCD and AMOLED - I have never been able to justify the increased cost of AMOLED just for reading.

For high quality video (getting off topic, and something E Ink is incompetent at, but to demonstrate an effect of increased contrast ratio) AMOLED is noticeably better than LCD because of AMOLED's higher contrast ratio. Moving that into TVs, LCD TVs have high contrast ratios (typically higher than a LCD computer monitor, so that is one reason why movies look better on a TV than a monitor) and xOLEDs much higher again and are noticeably better than LCD.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote